An eye, for an eye

This chapter is dedicated to all my dear Readers ~

_______________________________________

Harriet woke up slowly, consciousness returning in waves. She looked around bleakly, staring at the blurs and finally realising that she was in the Hospital Wing. She only wondered about that occurrence for a second before it all came back to her.

In her mind, there was Quirrell with Voldemort coming out of the back of his head. Harriet herself was released from the spell, staring into the mirror, the Philosopher's Stone dropping into her pocket. There were her lies but Voldemort knowing the truth. There was his offer to bring back her parents and finally touching her with his bare hands when she refused. Harriet remembered his attempt to harm her and his horribly burnt fingers. Finally, she recalled grabbing on to his face when he tried to curse her.

Harriet gasped as it all flooded back. She immediately tried to sit up, belatedly noticing that someone was attempting to help her. After a second, she felt her glasses pushed onto her nose and pillows moved behind her, propping her up. She turned to glance at her helper.

And Albus Dumbledore smiled and looked straight back at her.

"Professor," the Griffindore stated excitedly. "The Stone… Blaise, Hermione, Ron, and Neville-"

"Oh, don't worry, dear child," he calmly said to her. "Everything is fine. Voldemort does not have the Stone. Your friends are safe and healthy. Blaise was just about to go face Voldemort when I pulled him back and went after you. But, I dare say, you were doing quite a wonderful job of it." He beamed at her. "In fact, the only one who was in any real danger was you. You've been unconscious for the last four days." He grinned at her dazed look. "And the Stone… well, it has been destroyed."

Harriet gaped at him, emerald eyes wide. "Destroyed? Sir, but what about your friend Nicholas and his wife?"

"Oh, you know about Nicholas?" Dumbledore questioned, sounding quite delighted. "You did do the thing properly, didn't you? Well, Nicholas and I have had a little chat and agreed it's all for the best."

"Professor, that means his wife and he will die, won't they?"

"Yes, they have enough Elixir stored to set their affairs in order, and then, yes, they will die." Dumbledore almost smiled before he noted the sad look on Harriet's face. "To one as young as you, I'm sure it seems incredible, but to Nicholas and Perenelle, it is really like going to bed after a very, very long day. After all, to the well-organised mind, death is but the next great adventure," he whispered, trying to comfort her. "You know, the Stone was really not such a wonderful thing. As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all. The trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them."