Chapter 22: The Runaway

Tomorrow came quicker than expected. Shark didn't have work, so he offered to drive me to school today. "No thanks." I said as I left for school. I was wearing black skinny jeans, a pink long-sleeve shirt, and my black hoodie. Since I packed all of my stuff in my school backpack, Shark and Yuma didn't expect anything. I walked up to school, putting my fake happy face on. "What's up guys?" I said, walking up to Valerie and Marinette.

I no longer had to wear my eyepatch, but I brought it in my backpack just in case. "Nothing much. We were just talking about how it sucks being here." Valerie said.

"Yea, I know what you mean!" I said with a laugh as the bell rang. I walked into my classroom and sat down. I wasn't able to focus on anything that day. The only thought I could think was, "I'm actually going to do this?" The lunch bell rang and I zipped out of the classroom. The moment I finished eating, I would leave Paris. I already had a ticket for the train that left at one.

I sat down and ate my lunch all alone. I saw everyone else laughing and talking with their friends, while I'm all alone. I didn't even wait for lunch to be over. I just walked out of school and headed for the train station. I pulled my hood up until I got there so no one would recognize me.

I boarded the train, tears in my eyes, looking down at my blue sneakers. I saw the train leave the station. Goodbye Paris. I sat down and looked out the window as we left the city. "Is this seat taken?" I heard someone ask. I turned my head. "A-Adrien?!" I said, shocked. He laughed. "I'm not Adrien! I'm his cousin Felix!" He said.

I remember what Valerie had told me about Felix. He was basically a boy version of Lila. "Um, yea! This seat's reserved for my sister! She just went to talk to a friend real quick!" I lied. "Um, okay?" Felix said. He walked away as I put my earbuds in. I began listening to my music until I fell asleep.

When I woke up, the train had stopped in Chamonix, France. I grabbed my backpack and got off the train. I checked my phone. It was 4:38! School had gotten out two and a half hours ago! I had dozens of messages and missed calls from Shark and Yuma that said, "Where are you?!" and "Please come home!" There were a few messages from Marinette, Valerie, and the others.

Now where do I go? I questioned myself. I figured that I would find a local campsite and sleep there. I was walking to a nearby one when I got another call from Shark and Yuma. Never in my life had I ever declined or missed a call from them. I fought my tears as I thought about all of the good times we had. Before I knew it, I couldn't hold back my tears anymore. I felt tears spilling down my face.

"The streets are no place for a lady as fine as yourself to be staying. Especially in the winter." Felix said as he was walking up behind me. "What do you want?" I asked. "Nothing. I was just going to ask why you decided to run away." He said. More tears began falling down my face, dripping onto the floor. "Please." Felix said as he held his hand out. "Come with me to my house. You can stay as long as you need." He said. "O-Okay..." I stammered as I took his hand.

Once we got to his house, it looked like Adrien's house. I kind of expected it because he was Adrien's cousin though. "Come, I'll take you to the guest room, then you can have dinner," Felix said. I followed him as my phone rang. I ignored it. "So, this is where you'll be sleeping." He said. "Thanks." I said with a smile. I know Valerie said Felix was a bad person, but he was being very kind to me. "Make yourself at home! I'll come and get you when dinner's ready." Felix said as he left.

I realized that there was a piano in the room. Does Felix play? I wondered. I walked over to it and decided to play, "Fight Song" just for fun. I knew the song by heart and I felt that I just needed to sing.

(Insert song here) https://youtu.be/FjXCF_0FFdk?list=PLDE5Ky3I29KnD1qPW2qZZFnclArEdq37B

Once I finished playing, I heard clapping. Felix and his mother were standing by the door. "That was great!" Felix said. "Thanks!" I said, kind of embarrassed. "So, I never caught your name." Felix said. "Oh! I'm Zueki!" I said. My phone rang again. As expected, it was Shark and Yuma. I turned my phone off and threw it in my backpack. "So, you ran away from home?" Felix's mother asked. I nodded. "Nobody believed what I had to say. I couldn't take it anymore." I told her. "I'm so sorry to hear that!" She said. "Shall we discuss more of this matter after dinner mother?" Felix asked. "Of course!" His mother said with a laugh. Felix walked over to me and held out his hand. I took it, not hesitating as much as I did before.

Felix led me down to the dining room. I no longer had my hoodie on. I sat down next to Felix while his mother sat across from me. "I'm sure your mother and father are worried sick Zueki. Are you sure you don't want to call them and tell them you're okay?" She asked. "Well, I actually don't have a mom, I have two dads. I'm adopted." I said. "Oh! Sorry! I didn't know." She said with a laugh. "I don't really want to talk to them right now. I just need time to think." I said.

Once I finished eating, I went upstairs and took a shower. After that, while I was sitting on the bed, Felix came in asking if I wanted to play the piano with him. "No. Maybe tomorrow." I said with a sigh. "Well, my mom and I were going to watch a movie. Want to join us?" Felix asked. "Sure." I said getting up. He grabbed my hand once again and led me to the living room where his mom was sitting on the couch.

The movie we were watching was "Frozen". My favorite character was Elsa. Felix said his favorite character was Hans. "Of all people, why Hans?" I asked him. "I think he's just misunderstood." Felix said. "Whatever you say." I said as I yawned. We were only halfway through the movie and I was already tired. "I'm going to go to bed." I said as I got up.

I crawled into the bed, missing the feeling of when Yuma tucked me in and Shark kissed me goodnight. But their wrong! They didn't believe me! I told myself as I fell asleep.

I woke up the next morning, not feeling as bad as I did yesterday. I walked into the bathroom and brushed out my hair, just so it wouldn't look horrible. Once I was done, I walked back into the guest room and turned on the TV. There was a special report on about Ladybug and Chat Noir, so I decided to watch that.

While I was watching it, Felix entered the room. "Breakfast is ready." He said. "Okay." I said, turning off the TV. I got out of the bed and followed Felix downstairs to the dining room.

While we were eating breakfast, Felix's mother came in and asked me a question. "There is a masquerade ball being held here tonight. Would you like to come?" She asked. "Um, I don't think I should." I said. "Why not?" She asked. "Well, I'm not anywhere near royalty and I don't have anything to wear." I said.

Felix looked at me. "We can easily go out and buy you a dress. And you don't have to be royalty to attend." He said. "Um, sure!" I said. Felix smiled. I started blushing like an idiot. No! He's supposed to be a horrible person! Right? I thought. "Once your finished getting ready, I'll take you to one of the stores!" Felix said. "Okay!" I said with a smile.

I finished getting ready. I was wearing some shorts with leggings underneath, the jacket Shark got me and a T-shirt that had daisies all over it. I was putting my sneakers on when Felix walked into the room. "Are you ready?" He asked. I nodded. "Well, let's go." He said.

Once we arrived at the dress store, Felix said, "Pick out anything you like!" "Okay!" I said. I walked over to the section that carried my size. "My favorite color is light blue, so I think I'll get a dress in that color." I said to Felix. "Okay." He said following me as I walked over to a light blue dress. This looks nice. I thought. I looked around a little more to see if I could find any other dresses that I liked. In total, I tried on three dresses.

I decided to buy the second one that I picked out. Then I found a lace mask that I think would match the dress. "I'll buy them." Felix said. "Are you sure?" I asked him. "I insist." He said. After we bought the dress and mask, we went back to his house. "The ball starts around 7:30." He said. "Okay." I said. Felix's mother came out of her room and saw us. "Welcome back. What dress did you get?" She asked. I showed her a picture of when I tried it on at the store. "Oh it's beautiful!" She said. "I have some jewelry you could pair with it." "Okay! I'd love to see what jewelry you have!" I said with a smile.

Dress: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71Wr66%2BlxNL.jpg

Mask: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTK_Pv6SlN5baN9s1ZdutIxvugVIii4Sn-vTmm0djO7sPH1qBBydg&s

Felix's phone started ringing. "Excuse me, I have to take this." He said, walking away. "I actually have one question for you." Felix's mother said. "Okay, what is it?" I asked. "Would you play the piano with Felix tonight? Like sing with him?" She asked. "Um, that depends. What song are we going to play?" I asked her. She shrugged her shoulders. "Felix always keeps it a secret." She said. Felix came back from the other room. "Mother, it appears cousin Adrien will be joining us this evening." Felix said. What?! Adrien was coming?! Good thing I'll be wearing a mask all night! I thought. "Well, there is lots to be done before all of our guests arrive!" Felix said. "That's right! Tonight is very special!" His mother said. I knew that tonight was going to be a very busy night.