Chapter I

It's you. It's always been you when it comes to Rey. The woman adores you - simply ADORES you. You have never met anyone like Rey and you are sure that she hasn't met anyone like you either because if she had, you two wouldn't be together. You love Rey with all your heart and she loves you just the same. Meeting each other came simply as a coincidence - it really did. You were out scavenging and decided to pull into the market early since you had a good haul and didn't want to over-encumber yourself when the day ended. You traded in your scrap and received a full portion of your efforts. The jealousy and envy on the fellow scavenger's faces behind you were excessive and protracted but you didn't pay them any mind.

You were on your way out when you heard Unkar Plutt announce, "one-quarter portion" to a scavenger. You stilled and twisted your neck so you could glance behind you. Your eyes met a girl, no older than sixteen in sand-coloured rags with brown hair, gloomily take the portion and turn. Her eyes were hooded and her eyes were hard but you could see past them - disappointment, enervation, and perhaps sorrow repleted them. You hadn't seen eyes like hers before and the mere sight tugged on your heart - a feeling you seldom felt since Jakku was not a place for feeling things other than the natural instinct of survival. However, this girl, this stranger, this fellow scavenger challenged that. At the time, you weren't sure where it came from but you followed the girl and spoke to her.

She looked at you shocked and perhaps cautiously but you offered her some of your portion. At first, she was skeptical and questioned you but you told her that one-quarter portion wasn't enough to feed her properly and you had plenty to share. The gesture was an odd one, especially on such a desolate and egocentric planet and you honestly did not expect her to accept your portion. However, you eventually persuaded her to take it with the agreeance that you would eat together. Later that evening, the girl invited you to her home - an old AT-AT from the Galactic Civil War. She cooked and you ate together.

"I'm Rey," said the girl and you reciprocated the introduction where, for the first time, she smiled at you and you smiled back.

From that day on, you and Rey were inseparable and it didn't take long for the two of you to fall in love. Rey was different. She was special and it had been such a journey to watch her grow into the person she was today. Howbeit, she has changed from that simple and somewhat nonchalant and even jubilant time. Now, you are at the brink of war with the First Order as you have been for quite some time. You and Rey are members of the Resistance and it has been a journey and a half and it certainly trumps scavenging on Jakku, despite you missing that carefree life. Unfortunately, you feel yourself getting further away from Rey. You feel this distance between you two and it has only been getting stronger over the past year.

You're not exactly sure what it is but it's there and it's real. Rey is still stepping into who she is whilst also trying to discover who she is - a question that has pondered her mind since her existence and a question you have done your utmost to assist her with but to no avail. You and Rey spend little time together since the preponderance of her time is utilised by training, meditating, or on missions, missions that have now (sadly) become the time where you see and spend together the most. Your relationship is not what it used to be and you reflect your time on Jakku almost wistfully. Wistful because you start to question whether or not you should have left and, more importantly, whether or not you should have convinced Rey to return to Jakku so you could continue your simplistic lives. You may not have lived as long but at least you would have been happy.

You love Rey with as much as your heart will let you, which is why it comes with a heavy heart that you have decided to approach her in your shared quarters. She has come back late yet again after nighttime training and is preparing for bed. She removes her shoes and begins to free her arms from the wraps encircling them...