Chapter 4- the mishappening at the ceremony

Walking down the aisle, her arms linked with her father; her eyes looking forward but not her soul .she felt as emotionless as a rock. Her father handed her over to her husband-to-be James he looked at her; he didn't look all that pleased but he still was polite enough to smile.

The ceremony began. It went on smoothly without any disturbance; that was until the groom himself objected the wedding and ran away as quick as he could. His face was pale; so pale that she thought he had seen a ghost. Silence followed after this unbelievable incident. Some snickers echoed, some grumblings heard; she stood there humiliated by the runaway groom but still her head high. Some commented on how shameless she was, others admired her for her strength. But none but she knew what was going on in that head of hers.Tears rolled down her cheek; joy spread in some hearts, while some others tightened.

Those tears were genuine for they were tears of joy; tears of relief. her so called friends gathered around. Some tried adding fuel to the fire but she still said she was fine. That day, that moment her image instead of getting tarnished grew into more of a forgiving saint . They praised her for being so forgiving and thus one more trait added to the many, one more detail to her perfect facade was added then and there. Though she didn't care as long as she didn't have to take on the burden of a perfect wife. But she knew that this wasn't the end. She knew that the next time for her won't be this lucky.

She changed back to her casual clothing. The day was peaceful for her. She could comfortably hide away in her room pretending to be sick from her beloved's betrayal. The Hydes won't disturb her for the day as they were overjoyed at the tarnished reputation of James Parker. After all it was a big blow to their perfect image.

This high class society may seem to be elegant and classy but no one but they knew it was all an act. Image , how others perceived them only that mattered .

Rachel sat there on her bed a pillow in her hand in her casual clothes. She waited just like the usual for the darkness to spread. She was excited perhaps more excited than before as today she felt like she regained her freedom. She felt the same as a bird trapped in a cage for years was at last allowed to see the sky.

When will the night fall?

This repeated like a chant in her mind.

A dark world with no one to judge her

The world she didn't expect she could enjoy anymore. The world of her dreams where she can finally take her mask of and still walk through the streets with no eyes on her. The world where they dreamed and she lived the dream. A world where she can search for herself ; a world where she is not tied down to responsibilities . She really wished life would continue as it was till now. But deep inside she knew she was expected to raise a family of her own. Something she never wants. She didn't want children though she loved them as she didn't want them to go through the same; live the life of suffocation she experienced . It was by norm expected for her kid to be the epitome of perfection just like she was. That wasn't something she would wish. She didn't want them to drown in sorrow all their life just like how she would.

Living like this is better; no commitment just ties with no strings attached; a causal relationship for me to enjoy.

She knew better than anyone that the individuals alone can be pleased but not the crowd. She knew and she tried. With wealth and power they dare not badmouth her for it was always in the dark like this they who did perished

At last the night fell and her question was answered. She slipped out to enjoy the nightlife once again