Irene was standing in front of her giant mirror, looking at herself directly into the eyes.
She felt hollow and empty inside, as she was gently brushing her hair, making them soft and silky.
Another night, another dull, lifeless ball that she was supposed to attend to.

It was late in the evening, when her beloved sister Seulgi came into her giant room in order to announce their presence at Hamato's, their father's Japanese work "friend", celebration of the arrival of spring.

Hamato did this every year, every spring, as though the season was in need of his stupid, expensive gatherings so that it can properly arrive.

Irene just rolled her eyes and reassured Seulgi that she was going to be preparing herself until 8:00 o'clock, when their family will be about to head for Hamato's gargantuan mansion.

Now, hours later, Irene was standing in front of her wooden closet, trying to find something to wear, gorgeous enough that her father wouldn't start complaining about, when Yeri entered her room bouncily.

"Heyyyy.." she said, a slight tone of excitement was coloring her thin voice.

Irene hummed in response, not even turning around to face her sister.

"Are you excited about today's ball?" she asked her, sitting on Irene's bed and lying back cheerfully.

"I guess.." Irene murmured, while looking through her wardrobe, desperately trying to come up with an outfit.

To be frank, Irene would prefer to just stay home, with herself as the only company. She had started to grow tired of all of those fancy family appearances, where they all looked happy but intimidating, making everyone fear their presence alone, only to stay there for half an hour and then leave unbothered.

It was a monotonous circle that Irene couldn't bear for much longer.

And she knew it.

But how could she escape a fate which has already been written for her?

Yeri looked at her sister sadly, while picking on a pillow's feathers which she was hugging tightly.

She could sense Irene's frustration, and that made her not look at her directly, mostly out of fear.

"What are you going to wear?" she asked, in an attempt to change the subject of the conversation.

"I have no idea.." Irene replied honestly, then finally turned around to face her sister.
"What are you going to wear?"

"I think just a black dress and a black mask-"
"Mask?"
Yeri looked at her full of curiosity.
"Yeah a mask... it's a masked ball.."

Irene blinked confused.

"And when were you expecting to announce me this? When we were going to be leaving?" Irene hissed, clearly losing her patience by the second.

"I-I though Seulgi told you.." Yeri whispered, looking down at the pillow she was hugging, ashamed and now gloomy.

Irene sighed.
She approached her little sister and gave her a quick kiss on the forehead.
How could she ever stay mad at her?

"It's alright, just make sure to inform earlier next time." she said, coldly but with empathy towards the scared girl.

Yeri smiled frantically and stayed silent.
Then, after some minutes in which they were both in an uncomfortable and awkward silence, she said shyly:
"Why are you not wearing your new white outfit, the one mom picked out for you? It also has a white mask with feathers, and I think Joy has a feathered head piece as well. You will look like a white swan!" she beamed, blatantly elated at the idea only.

Irene though for a second and then smirked.
"I suppose that could somehow work out.." she said, smiling slightly now that she had a solution to her problem.

"Okay then, let me go and ask her if you can borrow it and I will come back quickly!" she rejoiced, jumping out of bed and running out of the door like a whirlwind.

Irene chuckled.

She truly loved Yeri, even if she was getting on her nerves sometimes, even if she could become really annoying, even if she was clearly much more energetic than herself.

She loved all of her sisters.
How couldn't she, after all?

She turned around again and immediately found the outfit Yeri was blabbering about.

It was a white short skirt, alongside with a tiny white top, with diamond shoulder straps, that would perfectly showcase her collarbones and cleavage. She also discovered a pair of white high heels that could kind of match.

Upon wearing them, she glanced at herself in the mirror.

She looked luxurious.
That was enough for her family to be happy for.

She casted an eye around her room. Her favorite pieces of jewelry, a long, vintage diamond chocker and two diamond earrings, sat on top of her bureau, as though they were waiting for her to put them on.

Irene didn't resist to their call.

Minutes later, a knock on her door was heard.

"It's open.." Irene answered aloud, expecting Yeri to come in.

However, Joy entered quickly, having a feathery head piece on her hand and looking quite hasty.

"Yeri told me you wanted this?" she told Irene the moment she beheld her, as if the fact that she was talking to her was reasonless and too time-consuming.

"Yeah, I-"
"Oh, alright then, take it and don't bother me any further!" she said annoyed, handing her out the headgear and instantly leaving, murmuring to herself something about too little time.

Irene was left speechless. She never liked it when people talked to her as though she was insignificant, especially when those people were her own bloodsisters. But she couldn't really do anything else at the moment rather than compromise with the situation, make herself pretty and wait for her whole family to get ready, in order to finally get in the limousine and leave.

Something that would take a lot of time, truth to be told.