Chapter 1: A Strange Magic

The guild was chaotic, as always. Natsu and Gray were fighting(something about sheep...), Lucy and Levy were discussing a new book, Mira was serving drinks, and the request board was filled with new jobs. Juvia stood in front of the board and considered each job carefully. Somebody was willing to pay 5,000 jewels for a wizard to find a lost sock. Another was asking for a magical relic to be recovered. There was even a missing person notice on the board. Looking at the notice more carefully, Juvia discovered that the person looked familiar to her, but she didn't remember them at all. Her thought process would've continued, if a table hadn't been thrown right next to her. To avoid the flying table, she jumped out of the way and accidentally bumped into Lucy. "Oh! Sorry, Lucy. Some idiot threw a table..." She apologized. Lucy looked over to where the table had come from. "It's okay." Juvia got up and brushed herself off. She could hear Erza scolding Natsu for throwing the table, which caused him and Gray to stop fighting. "Ah! Now's Juvia's chance to ask Gray to go on a job with her!" Juvia muttered to herself. Usually she went on jobs alone, or occasionally with Natsu and Lucy. She had been trying to build up her courage to ask Gray to go on a job with her, though. Juvia scuttled back to the request board and searched frantically for a flyer. She grabbed the first high paying one she saw, not reading the job description. She then ran over to Gray. "Gray-sama? Would you-um-care to go on a-uh-a job with Juvia?" She asked him nervously, holding out the flyer. Gray looked at the flyer with a confused expression on his face. "You want me to go on a job with you to help some guy find his lost sock?" Juvia looked at the flyer, reading the job description now. "WHAT?! Uh, it can be any job! Juvia just grabbed the first high paying one she saw!" Gray considered what she said. "I'll go on a job with you, but let's pick a different one and leave this one for somebody less experienced than us." Juvia clasped her hands together. "Really? Thank you, Gray-sama!" Gray looked at her with an annoyed face. "If we're gonna do this, just call me Gray." Juvia blushed. "Yes! Whatever you want!" She exclaimed as they walked over the the request board. She didn't pay any attention as Gray picked out a job. She simply said, "Yes, yes, Juvia will do it." When he presented her with the flyer. She didn't realize until later that she had absolutely no idea what the new job was. As she and Gray were about to leave on the job, Lucy called to her. "Juvia! Is it okay if Natsu and I tag along on your job?" Behind her, Natsu grumbled something about not wanting to do it. Lucy promptly told him to shut up, making it obvious that he had no say in the matter, and that Lucy was now desperate for rent money. Juvia found it hard to turn down her friend. "Sure. We were just about to leave." She said as Natsu and Lucy caught up to them. Lucy smiled. "Great, thanks!" They exited the guild with Natsu and Gray, who were already fighting with each other.