Chapter 16 Masquerade

Masquerade🎶!
Paper faces on Parade🎶!
Masquerade🎶!

It was the next day and Laurie stopped by to say her goodbyes for now, her parents came into the room and wished you a speedy recovery, gave you hugs and slight and unnecessary apologizes. That was surprising. They also told you that the Doyle's and Wallace's said they wished you well, and both thanked you for keeping their kids safe, even though they didn't know that no harm would've come to them that night. Before they left, they asked why you had agreed to help Laurie to babysit Lindsey and Tommy. They didn't even sound mad... After what happened, there was zero anger about the lies and plans made for Laurie's friends to fool around, they appeared to simply be curious about why you were so close with Laurie right under their noses.

You answered them saying 'I had a bad feeling that night... I just wanted to help my friend and make sure she was safe.' that was all that was said. No further questions why you were friends with Laurie... They seemed grateful that you were friends with her... She'd would still have someone to talk with when you were both back home... Someone who went through what she did, to help her get through it and she'd help you too. Only that was not the case... You'd be able to help her, but she would be incapable of helping you.

A few hours after they'd left, your family had arrived to see you. Your father looked heartbroken and angry. Your half-sisters seemed heart-broken like Crystal. Your step-mom faked her heart-break for the sake of your real family, witch included your half-sisters, however you could see through her rouse the very second she entered the room. You were skilled at showing the 'correct' emotions so faces (FAAACES) like such as sadness were easy for you to see through. She was probably glad that you had as almost died and all her real heart-ache was over you not dying.

Your father put his hands against your cheeks, looking you straight in the eye. His eyes were filled with so much sorrow for you, and so much more of it was not for you... Crystal must have told him about her ordeal before telling him about you... Maybe the other way around, but you thought it the former because Crystal had gone through a more serious adventure then you.

"Thank god you're okay... " he hugged you tightly, taking just as much care as Crystal had to not hurt you.

"You're crushing me... " you playfully fibbed so he knew wasn't actually hurting you.

"How bad it is?" GE asked, while your siblings and bitch-in-law stayed back, letting him have your full attention.

"I don't really know, dad. They have me on pain meds to help and I can't feel much." you answered truthfully.

"Will you be alright by yourself after this?" he asked, frowning.

"Probably... They might want someone to stay with me for a while, but I think I'll be fine. "

"I can stay if they want you to have a caregiver." Crystal spoke up. All your family members, and the in-law, smiled at you for your stubborn DETERMINATION to stay independent.

"Thanks... " you yawned, still feeling tired. "I'm happy to see you all.... But you already know what's happening, so.... I mean you don't have to stay here, and get bored staring at these gray walls... " you couldn't help wanting to shoo them out as you loved them all except, of course, your mother in law.

"Are you trying to get rid of us already? " the twin girls asked in unison, tilting their heads. They had their mother's red hair, but your father's (E/c). They looked dead tired for some reason...

"Not exactly... " you mumbled. Your father nodded understandingly. You were a terribly cynical realist. (oh! Just like meeeee.) He knew you'd want to talk more with them, individually, before they really left, so he allowed you to remain a hermit for now, saying they'd come back latter when you were in a more talkative mood. The rest of your family left as he stayed just a moment longer to kiss your cheek.