Chapter 2

"They need you."

"No. They want to study me." Jewel turned her attention to the scientists. "How much is the D.O.D. paying you to babysit? Go away. research or not, I'm entitled to some privacy."

She wasn't expecting an answer, and the voice told her she wasn't going to get one.

"They want you because you can talk to me. You can tell them things that would take centuries to learn after they bring me there."

The artifact was coming to Global.

No wonder they were going to take me whether or not I took that stupid test.

"I know why you want me," she said, melodically. "Something's gonna be brought here reeaaallll soon."

~***~***~

"You say you know why we want you here, Miss Carter," Professor King said.

The sudden presence of the man would have startled her had the voice not told her what to expect.

"Scrub the video footage," she mentally told the voice.

King opened his tablet to the security footage he had brought with him, just in case Jewel tried to lie to him.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," she said, using the very same words he said to her father, in the same tone.

With his head down toward his tablet, King looked at Jewel. He wondered how she could have known the exact way he'd answered the Marshal's question.

"Really? Because I have proof of you saying otherwise," King said rather smugly.

Jewel stepped closer to the glass wall where King was standing. She received a shock with each step. Her effort to hide the pain of each shock, which became stronger with every step, was weakening.

"I thought you were going to figure out how this bracelet worked so we could dismantle it," King said to the scientist behind him.

"We're working on it, Sir."

"Everything keeps coming to this bracelet of yours."

Confusion came over King as he continuously tried opening something in his tablet.

"That's not possible," he said. "What have you done? What is this bracelet capable of doing?"

"What's wrong?" Jewel asked innocently.

King turned the screen toward Jewel. She saw herself on camera, yelling at the scientists who were observing her. Then everything went black. Her taunt had been erased, just as she had asked of the voice.

"Something must be trying to help me get out of here. I mean, you did kidnap me," she pointed out. "And that video doesn't prove anything. All it might prove is that I should probably be in a mental facility."

"Why's that?"

"Because it looks like I'm talking to myself. Normal people do that, sure. But so do a loooottttt of crazy people."

Be careful what you tell them. They will want to evaluate you. They'll bring in a therapist unless you can convince them you really are crazy the voice told her.

Jewel's eyes gleamed with mischief after the light in her cell began strobing. She quickly fell to the cell's walls floor, pretending to have a seizure. To make it even more convincing, she dug her nails into her skin as if trying to regain some control, dragging her nails across her arms and legs, causing blood loss. It wasn't enough to have her moved to infirmary,