Chapter 3

The first day as a disguised human. The first day as a Stellaerian.

The first day of the beginning of everything.

"Keep your identity well hidden, dragon girl," Miracle muttered, adjusting the little red bow tie on her uniform. "As long as I'm not exposed, everything will be all right."

"Miracle! You done?" Lyn shouted from the bottom floor.

"Just a second!"

As soon as she walked down the stairs, the smell of flour and vanilla extract wafted to her nose. She sniffed. It was something she wasn't used to smelling.

Hayden motioned her to come over. Plucking two slices of bread from the toaster, he coated each with a rich amount of peanut butter. Watching his hand moving to the empty plate at her seat, only then did she understand the pieces were meant for her. Miracle pulled out the chair, exhaling a silent sigh. She wanted to refuse the meal. Such mortal-ly food, she barely had one in her thousand years of life.

Dragons didn't eat sandwiches nor drink any milk. They rarely eat. But if they did, it was always fresh, raw meat.

"Miracle, you have to get used to this. All dragons sent here must get used to this," he stressed.

She knew the point he was trying to make. To remain hidden in this world, first, she had to act like a human.

"I guess I don't have a choice," she uttered, finally taking a bite of her first-ever human breakfast.

"You'll be fine." Lyn squeezed her hand. "Dad has prepared everything for you. All you have to do is go with the flow."

It took a while for Miracle to realize Lyn was referring to the school she had been enrolled in.

"Thanks, Lyn." She smiled.

***

"Miracle Watson? You may enter now," Miss Nancy said, glancing over at the entrance.

The door slid open. The moment Miracle saw the numerous mortals sitting in the class, she was taken aback. Her toes twitched inside her pair of black Bata shoes. A frigid chill ran down her spine, contracting the hairs behind her neck. She couldn't bring herself to step forward.

They are the ones who killed Xiao Xun, Xue Er. She wavered as her stare drifted to the nametags sewn below their badges. Are they really worth being protected? Worth risking our lives in exchange for their peace? They don't even believe in us anymore. Why are we trying so hard to keep them safe?

Just before the evil thought dominated her mind, she saw Kingsley and Lyn waving at her.

No no no, Xue Er. You're here to protect. You can only protect, she reminded herself.

And so, inhaling a deep breath, she stepped into the class.

As if there were a spotlight shining on her, everyone gaped. The boys weren't blinking at all for fear that they would miss a single second of admiring her beauty.

"Hello. I'm Miracle Watson. Nice to meet you," she said.

"All right, Miracle. Let's get you a seat."

Miss Nancy pulled her slipping specs to the bridge of her flat nose and scanned around, looking for an available spot.

"Teacher, over here!" said one of the excited boys.

"No, mine is better! It's closer to the board."

"Excuse me, who wants to see the board when you get to see the sea?"

"What nonsense are you talking about? We aren't in a dating class, moron!"