xx.

EDITH couldn't count the amount of time she paced near the streams edge. She was sure she was gone well over an hour, and she was also sure the red stayed coated across her cheeks the entire time. Her internal thoughts battled with themself; a battle that the rational side was winning. The rational side argued what she had done was completely stupid, and that she should apologize the first chance she'd get. And that was exactly what she would do. Her heartbeat had failed to slow, despite attempting to use the water to cool her down, as it only acted as a reminder of what almost happened, and what could've happened if Renfri wasn't there to stop it.

Pull yourself together. The area had been overcome with darkness, and the only source of light Edith had was from the glow of the fire she could just about see in the distance, with the stars above her acting as a comfort source. Deep breaths, girl. Her throat was parched in anxiety, and as she made her way back towards the camp, she desperately debated sprinting back to the safeheaven that presented itself in a small stream. The branches licked at her skin, but only acted as a reminder of her stupidness.

Up ahead, she could hear a deathly silence echo throughout the camp. The only thing she could hear was the flames flickering in the nights embrace. Her hands pushed multiple branches out of her way, until she was able to have a good view into the makeshift camp. She sucked in a deep breath at what she saw, and allowed herself to falter. Up ahead, she had the perfect view of Renfri retying apart of her bodice, and Geralt asleep a few paces away from her. Both of their appearances were disheveled, and Edith could already guess what had happened with her departure. She felt a small pang in her chest, but she tried to push it away. She didn't have any right to feel anything about the matter, as Geralt and her were no more than friends.

Edith waited in the darkness, watched as Renfri scattered away as the trees swallowed her whole. Edith was now left with Geralt, but she'd never felt so alone in her sad little life. It was pathetic, really. And it was even more pathetic her thinking trying to kiss Geralt was a good idea. Edith knew at this point that she was a complete idiot, and maybe her father had been right all along. She bit her lip, and watched as Geralt's sleep was obviously disturbed by dreams.

Edith eventually came out of the darkness shrouding her figure, settling her back against once of the sturdy trees closer to the warmth of the fire. The only thing that offered a comfort was the distant sound of crickets singing in a harmony, and as she took a glance at the sleeping Witcher, dreams haunted her mind, however, dreams much more sinister than Edith's haunted Geralt's.

Geralt could see Renfri leaning over him, and he allowed her presence to invade him in one. Her gaze enticed him; drew him into a dream trance he'd experienced moments ago with a different demand.

"Kill her, Geralt," She whispered, and he allowed the thought to embrace him like a lullaby. "Kill the girl. Kill Edith, Geralt." His eyes closed, his thoughts churning, twisting, swallowing his mind into a beast of want.

His mind went back to the time long ago, where his sword pierced the girls chest without remorse. A time where everything was simpler. He watched her drop like a bag of potatoes, crimson following like a waterfall. And he'd wanted it. He wanted her death so bad in that moment it overwhelmed his being. He suddenly craved her death; craved the destruction the voice promised.

"She is chaos, Geralt." The voice whispered, and he'd remembered the town she butchered a lifetime ago. He remembered the blood coating her frame, the blood cascading through the paths of the town. And he knew she was to blame. Edith Flayers had to die. Edith Flayers is chaos. Chaos in its finest form, hidden beneath the midst of innocence. Edith Flayers was not innocent, no, Edith Flayers had sin written all over her in a sacrilegous murder -

But then Geralt saw the fear in Edith's eyes, the fear of death coating her face in a frown. He saw the fear of being a monster as he answered the dreaded question with 'yes.' He watched her shut her eyes in acceptance as he prepared himself to end her life.

Then he saw Edith's face approach his own, her voice echoing the name of 'prick' like she'd done many times before. And then he saw her eyes. Brown irises singing for his own. Brown irises he'd been so familiar with that mocked him just like he'd done to her. His mind battled fiercely, and Geralt knew he couldn't listen to the voice. Edith Flayers was chaos, but Edith Flayers was also the girl who wasn't given a chance to live. A chance Geralt promised to give her.