Chapter 4

“Darling, today is the day!” Belle shouted as she woke me up.

          “And I’m supposed to be happy about it?” I asked sleepily. She looked at me. “Sorry, just a little stressed,” I said.

          “Don’t worry,” she said. “Now, we need to get you into your arena outfit. It looks absolutely divine!”

          “’Kay, now you’re scaring me,” I said.

          “Sorry,” she apologized. “But we do have to get you ready. Come, come!” she said, rushing out.

          I slowly followed her to the changing room, and she let me change into the arena outfit. It was carbon-black with bits of armor implanted on it. It had glowing yellow lining, probably to represent the district. Everyone from the other districts probably had different colors. Belle walked back in, and hugged me.

          “I wish you all the luck in the world, and I’ll help you anyway I can in there,” she said, crying.

          “Thank you. Thanks for everything,” I said back.

          “60 seconds to launch,” the P.A. announced. I slowly walked in, and waved goodbye to her. The platform rose quickly, and I caught a glimpse of the arena. It was a dome IN THE SKY, and at the bottom was the forest arena. I was scared that I was going to fall and die, but it was glass and steel, so it was pretty sturdy. I looked around for my friends, but I was too frantic to focus.

          “Let the 47th Battle Royale begin,” I heard the P.A. echo. Everyone tensed up. “10… 9… 8… 7… 6… 5… 4… 3… 2… 1… 0,” the P.A. echoed as everyone started to run.

          I ran as fast as I could and already tributes were being killed. As I ran, I saw violence, and bloodshed. I heard multiple cannons go off to signal a dead tribute. I ran into an elevator pod that would take me down to the arena. Erika and Roxanne jumped in before the door closed.

          “Oh, so you made it. Nice,” I said. We all heard screams of pain and more cannons go off.

          “Damn,” Erika exclaimed. We all had a “mobile” tribute board on our suits so we could check who’s dead or not. There were 23 tributes left, 9 were dead. At least everyone in our alliance was still alive. When we reached ground, we searched frantically for Alice, Ryan, Tyler, and Annabell.

          “Dammit, where are they?” I said, frustrated. Suddenly, we were ambushed by a group of tributes; two Necromancers, two Aeromancers. I electrocuted an Aeromancer, and Erika burned a Necromancer alive. The other two fled into the forest. I saw Alice, Tyler, Ryan and Annabell run up to us as we escaped into the forest. As we were fleeing, even more cannons were going off. We stopped when we felt it was safe, and I checked the tribute board. 19 tributes were left, 13 were dead.

          As time passed, 2 more tributes were dead, and we were getting hungry as well as thirsty. Tyler went off to hunt, and we were still waiting for him to come back. Suddenly, another cannon went off. We all were scared and then I checked the tribute board. It wasn’t Tyler, fortunately, but it was one of my own.

          Eventually, Tyler came back, and he brought over jicama, a turnip filled with nutrients and minerals, and a good supply of water. We were all well-fed, and were sleepy. Tyler and Alice agreed to take first watch, as the rest of us napped.

          When I woke up, I heard a scream, and shot up. I saw Tyler’s neck snapped by another tribute and ran over quickly. Erika and Ryan also heard, and followed me. I paralyzed the other tribute, and saw that it was a fellow Electromancer. I felt betrayed, and Erika burned her alive. Two cannons went off, and I laid over Tyler’s body, grieving, as well as Erika and Ryan. Ryan was deeply distraught by his teammate and best friend’s death. Alice rushed over and saw what had happened. She started to grieve, but then we left to report back to the other two. There were now only six in our group.

          Alice was sleeping as she was being carried by Ryan, as we were all moving throughout the forest.

          A day passed. No water, no food, only one tribute dead; it was hell.

        The next day, Alice miraculously found freshwater, and we all now had a large supply of water. Erika and I went to find food, and brought back berries and fish from a nearby pond. We were safe... for now.