Chapter 1

Again?"

Levy looked down at the large box full of small percussion instruments. Tambourines, cow bells, and metal triangles filled the box from top to bottom. She looked up at Jet, the guy in charge of delivering the stock for the department store and crossed her arms. "Jet! This is the third time you've given me another department's inventory!"

"I'm sorry Levy." Jet rubbed the back of his head giving a long drawn out yawn in the process. Levy gave a big sigh, trying to be understanding instead of being annoyed.

She uncrossed her arms, shifting them to her hips. "Well If my books aren't here then who's got them?"

Jet lifted a hand to his chin. "Well if you have their inventory, then they probably have yours," he stated quizzically. "I'll take em down for you and get your box back up here before opening."

"No." Levy felt bad knowing that his shift was about to be done soon and that Jet had been working double shifts for the past two weeks.

He's probably just exhausted from working too hard. It explains his lack of focus.

"No. It's fine Jet. I'll take it down," Levy said with a smile. Jet's eyes brighten with joy. Giving her a friendly nudge on her shoulder. "You're the best Lev."

Levy was glad that she could make someone else's day easier, even if it made hers more strenuous. Before he could leave, she asked, "So which floor is the music department on anyway?"

Magnolia's was like Walmart, only much bigger and with multiple floors. The top floor was the book section and where Levy worked. The music department was at the very bottom of the store where she hardly ever went. She internally groaned knowing she would have to take it down herself if she wanted to have the next volume of 'Vampire Adventures' on her shelves before opening.

Most department stores had large elevators on the inside that traveled from floor to floor, but Magnolia's elevator only worked from the second floor to the fourth floor. Levy was thankful that there was an elevator at all, since pushing the dolly around the tight corners of the halls was already hard enough with how massive the shipment box was.The real challenge was how she was going to get the box to the bottom floor since the elevator stopped short.

The second floor corridor was much wider and contained plastic wrapped stacked boxes filled with items that varied from clothing to makeup. Farther away at the end of the hallway held the most important room in the entire store. The breakroom.

As she pushed the moving equipment off the last operating level, Levy's eyes scanned the green halls for any possible employees to help her. Most days one could find people sipping coffee and joking around before opening, but today it was quiet. She glanced at the clock next to the elevator.

Lucy should be in by now. Maybe she can help me.

Levy parked the loaded dolly away from the walkway and made her way over to the breakroom to see if her best friend was grabbing a quick snack before the start of the work day.

"Lu you in here?"

Levy walked to the large open door that displayed inside of the breakroom. It was white and covered with old photos of families shopping at Magnolia's. The store had apparently been around for ages.

As she scanned the room for her blond companion, her eyes settled on two men laughing in the corner. She paused to see if she knew them, hoping that they instead might be able to help her.

The first man on the right was Laxus, the owners son, who had worked since he was 16and currently held one of three managerial positions at the store. He was usually a hardass but not unskilled at his position.

There's no way he's going to help me. He's always a jerk whenever you ask..

Her gaze quickly shifted to the other. A large man with long black hair and red eyes stood beside laxus, almost matching his stature.

I've never seen him before. Maybe he's a seasonal employee? And why is he being so chummy with Laxus?

His body was directed away from Levy so she couldn't see a name tag on him. Now she was curious. Levy practically knew everyone that worked around the store, but there was no way that a new employee could get into the managers good graces in such a short amount of time. And worst of all he was singing!

"Jingle Bells Jingle Bells.."

Levy's ears perked up. His deep voice was smooth and buttery as he sang the out-of-season tune. His voice was amazing.

"Jingle all the FUCK! Oh what fun it is to ride with a one horse open SHIT!"

A burst of laughter caused the golden haired man to double over and hit his hand on the counter repeatedly. "That's hilarious! What did you call that again Gajeel?"

"Christmas with tourettes. It's an idea me and my buddy came up with when we were drunk off our asses one night."

Levy didn't want to laugh at his crude sense of humor but despite it, she couldn't resist falling victim to his comical spin to the Christmas song.

A hand flew to her mouth trying to fight the wave of laughter. Despite her efforts, her chest grew tight and her facial muscles contorted, resulting in a full on laughing fit. The sound of high pitched giggles radiated towards the two men causing them to turn towards her.