Chapter 11

After my visit to the police station to give my statement, I realized that my biggest battle going forward would be addressing and controlling my fears. I had no intention of staying locked up for the rest of my life, but I couldn't just resolve myself to venturing out. The demons in my life are very real and I need help keeping them at bay.

A cursory web search led me to a group for women who had been victims of violence. Though I doubted anyone else in that group had survived the direct attention of one of the most prolific killers in this city's history, their experiences had no doubt left them feeling vulnerable and afraid as I was feeling.

Leaving Charlie's apartment on my own was still an issue for me, but thankfully I had been blessed with some of the best friends anyone could ask for. Gabby was more than willing to shuttle me to the support group, saving me an immense amount of stress. Not having to worry about my journey there would allow me to focus on what the group has to offer. I hoped that I would find the answers I needed to continue on with my life in a semi-normal fashion.

Despite the short distance from the lobby door of Charlie's apartment building to Gabby's car on the curb, I could not help but check my peripherals. Just the fact that I did this instinctively was enough to agitate me. Going to this group session was the right decision; I can't keep doing this.

I climbed into the passenger's seat, closed the door and strapped myself in. It was a compact car, perfect for Gabby's slight stature. I wasn't sure that she could see over the wheel of a car much bigger than this one and had joked about it with her on many occasions, much to her annoyance.

"Thanks for taking me to this, Gab," I said appreciatively. "I hope you weren't too busy."

"Please, Della," she responded, waving me off with her hand. "Nothing is important enough to keep me from helping you. I know I can't do much, but the little I can help with, I will. Where is this session?"

"At the rec center in Shelton. I didn't realize it, but apparently they run a ton of these group meetings. Drug rehab, soldiers dealing with PTSD, alcoholics, the whole nine yards. I can't believe I didn't know about these meetings."

"Why would you have known?" she asked. "I mean, until this, you really had no reason to know about those things."

I nodded in agreement. I always enjoyed getting out of the city for a bit. I had a deep appreciation for the architecture of the skyscrapers, the way the cityscape lay against the skyline. But once in a while, it was nice to not feel the stare of looming concrete and steel giants overhead.

"What are you going to do while I'm in the meeting?" I asked, my gaze focused on the scene passing by my window.

"I don't know, probably just screw around on my phone," she said. "Catch up on social media for the day? Maybe I'll find a new game, I haven't had one to obsess about in a while."

I shifted my gaze over to stare at Gabby. "You're going to wait?" I asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, why not?"

"Gab, these things typically go for an hour, hour and a half from what I've read," I replied. "I can't in good conscience let you just sit out here."

"Della, it's really not that long," she said dismissively. "Besides, what else am I going to do? Cat memes and videos of kids falling off bikes will more than hold me over for that time."

"Thank you, Gab," I said apprehensively. "If you change your mind, you know you don't have to stay."

Gabby kept her eyes straight ahead focused on the road as I shifted my gaze back to the sights and sounds whirring past my window.