Chapter 51 - Both mentally and physically, I was as good as dead

J A S O N

Tristan had been serious about not selling me anymore weed, but Jack had gotten a dealer's phone number from his cousin and blown his and Finn's allowance in everything he could get with it. This included weed, molly, and acid. I wasn't interested in fucking up my brain chemistry more than it already was, so I just went for the weed. Jack wasn't happy about this.

"Come on!" he said when I said no for the third time to the colorful tab on the palm of his hand. "You're gonna love it, dude! Finn and I did it this summer at a concert and –"

"Jack, just stop it," Edward said next to me. We were on the couch of Jacob's living room, who was somewhere upstairs, probably trying to hide his tail, and his horns, and the smell of sulfur he had dragged with him from hell. Apart from us, the house was empty. The party hadn't started yet. Edward went on, "It's bad enough you're doing it. You don't have to drag other people into it too."

"Bad enough? You fucking loved it last time," Jack whined.

I looked at Edward in shock. Never in my life would I have guessed Edward had done acid and loved it. He wouldn't even smoke weed with us, much less do psychedelics.

"When did I ever do acid?" he asked, unimpressed.

"He didn't do acid, bro," Finn said, looking at his twin. "It was molly."

"Yeah, molly, whatever." Jack shrugged, looking back at Edward, "You loved it."

"You did," Finn said with a smirk that stretched out the scar on his bottom lip.

"I've never done drugs in my life." Edward said, still unimpressed. I was very confused. So was he, because he said, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Did we tell him?" Jack asked Finn.

Behind them, trying to connect his phone to the speakers, Liam said, "You didn't tell me."

Edward sat up straight on the couch, "What are you talking about?!"

"Remember the party Jacob threw in the first week of classes?" Jack asked, scratching the back of his head. He had put the tab of acid he had been holding in his hand on the tip of his tongue already, so it was a matter of time until he became even stupider.

"Yeah, why?" Edward asked.

"Well, we put molly in your drink that night." Finn said.

"You put what in my drink?"

"Molly."

"That's fucked up." This was Isaac. He had been sitting next to Edward on the other side of the couch, very focused on the joint he was rolling for us, but he stopped to say this.

Isaac was supposed to be my stand-in on the team, but after the homecoming game, Coach had basically begged him to join the starting line-up for the rest of the year. I had wanted to break both of Isaac's legs and send them to Coach Sargent's front step for making me feel replaceable, but I ended up just pouting about it, as one did.

In any case, Isaac had turned out to be the kind of guy that made Edward genuinely relax, which was a prowess not known to many, or rather, to none, since Edward was the kind of guy to have never been relaxed ever. I liked Isaac.

"He hooked up with Allora that same night, so how fucked up can it really be?" Jack said.

I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and then opened them again.

The question left my mouth before I could even think of it, "You hooked with who?"

"Whom," Liam said.