Chapter two

She knew better than to go outside. Yet the echo of howls from her brothers was too much temptation to resist.

Her bare feet slapped the wet ground with soft thuds as she ran to the gates for a peek. There was no sign of any of her family. She tried to ignore the burning sensation as it coarsed its way through her body.

Her own transformation was beginning to try and take place. Emma whimpered softly as the cracking of her bones began. Fathers wolfsbane serum began its fight back as the bones snapped back into their proper places.

She strained to see in the dark as her pack's growls grew louder. Something or someone was out there. Although the thought should frighten her it left her with a strange excitement. It reminded her of the night she met Ezra...

Slipping outside on a full moon had always been her father's number one rule. Yet Emma couldn't help herself. She was drawn to the full moon even though she hadn't had the luxury of shifting into wolf form. Father was convinced it wasn't a woman's place.

"A woman's place is in the kitchen," he had told her countless times. Maybe she wouldn't be punished so much if she would just listen. Instead she found herself once again at the iron gates. They were the only thing holding her hostage.

Eagerly peering through them, Emma awaited a glimpse of the wolves. Instead she caught a glimpse of something else. Although she had never met a vampire before, she immediately knew he was one.

He stood just on the edge of the treeline gazing at Emma's home. The engorged silver moon cast just enough light for her to admire his breathtaking appearance.

He had that just rolled out of bed hair do. He pulled it off well. Just beneath the black mess was a pair of deep gray blue eyes. They had reminded Emma of a mix of ocean blue and storm clouds. The rest of his face was sculpted just as perfectly.

His dark gray v- neck t-shirt left nothing to imagination as it hugged every muscle on his chest and arms. Their eyes locked immediately. Emma had stumbled backwards. In a flash he stood directly in front of her on the other side of the gate.

Instead of draining her of every ounce of blood like her father had convinced their family vampires would do, he had kept her from falling. His hand was wrapped tightly around her wrist steadying her.

"Im looking for Maggie Andrews," he had spoke quietly. His voice was just as amazing as his appearance.

"That's my mom but she's been dead for years,"

Emma allowed the waterfall of tears to drench her face as she looked at the very spot where she'd seen Ezra. He had died just a year after they'd met only a few feet from that spot.

The night he had died he had promised to explain why he had been searching for her mother. Now she would never know the answer. Suddently a figure appeared in the woods running in her direction. Samuel appeared in human form panting.

"Get in the house, Em." he gasped trying to catch his breath.

"What's going on, Sam?" She asked refusing to budge without an explanation.

"Father will be back here soon. There were vampires again. Father had one cornered but it escaped. Hurry before he finds you!" Samuel begged before disappearing back into the trees.

Emma sprinted back to the house as fast as she could. Once she was safely inside, she sank into the worn leather couch in the livingroom. Almost immediately the door was kicked open.

Her father stomped in with an angry scowl. He made his way to the kitchen without even a glance in her direction. Jacob appeared soon after.

"Shouldn't you be in bed?" he asked eyeing her suspiciously.

"I heard a noise," she answered faking a yawn. Their father stomped back into the living room.

"Who have you been sneaking out with this time? he snarled jabbing his finger in Emma's face accusingly.

"No one, father. I swear!"

He slapped her so hard that she landed facedown on the floor. Jacob walked by unfazed by their father's abuse. The metallic taste of her own blood filled her mouth. He yanked her back up to face him.

"I've been smelling a vampire's scent around here again. Now tell me who it is!" He slapped Emma back to the ground once more.

She began to sob as blood poured from her nose. He stood over her glaring down at her with hatred.

"Fine, you want to be stubborn. I'll beat it out of you." He snarled.

Emma shielded herself the best she could. He hit her repeatedly. She wished she had answers for him but she honestly didnt know who could be lurking around.

Emma began to grow numb from his repeated hits. Blood poured from her nose and mouth. Her eyes had started to swell shut. Finally Emma closed them and allowed the darkness to consume her...