Eikosiefta [ 27 ]

Half-asleep, I felt the absence of a warm body beside me and I reached out, hoping to feel Tristan's soft skin

Half-asleep, I felt the absence of a warm body beside me and I reached out, hoping to feel Tristan's soft skin. When I didn't, I lightly frowned and opened my eyes a fraction to see that his side of the bed was empty. The sheets were fresh and it didn't look as rumpled as I would've expected since he didn't like to stay in one position as he slept.

Sitting up slowly, I clutched the silk sheets to my naked body as I fully opened my eyes and confirmed that he wasn't in the room. I could, however, sense that he was somewhere in the house. "Tristan?" I softly called out, focusing intensely to hear the shift of his bare feet against the tiled floors of the kitchen.

"I'm downstairs, αγάπη." He replied clearly, his voice raised slightly so I could hear him a bit better.

Holding the sheets to my body, I lightly placed my feet on the floor and I couldn't hold back the wince when my dead legs protested at the slight action. Tristan and I had spent the entire afternoon together and I knew that we were closer than ever. He had been so attentive to everything and acted accordingly. I could still feel his tender kiss on my forehead.

After a shaky attempt at standing up, I reached for the bed rail that held up the black canopy over the bed and slowly hoisted myself up. I smiled softly when I lazily slipped on one of his dress shirts and a fresh pair of underwear.

I knew he could hear me when I slowly made my way downstairs, and when I stepped into the kitchen, a tilt of his head signified that he was completely paying attention to me. Slipping my arm through his, I pressed a kiss to his bare shoulder and peered at the spicy sauce he was cooking.

"What are you making?" I cleared my throat and glanced at him to gauge how he was feeling. The ache in my chest was still present, but it had significantly reduced, which only meant that he was feeling a lot better than he did in the morning.

"I thought you'd like to have a taste of Greenlandic food—it's a surprise." He reduced the temperature of the stove and turned to me, glancing at his shirt that I had pulled on. His thumb brushed over the first two buttons and he undid them with one hand before his fingers splayed across my collarbone.

I watched him silently, willing myself to not shudder under his touch like I always did. Instead, I snaked my arms around his waist and pulled him closer into a hug. I rested my head on his chest and he curved a hand around the back of my head, lightly caressing my curls.

"Did you sleep?"

I felt him nod against me. "Not for long, but enough to get my energy back again."

I lifted my head to see the accomplished smirk on his lips and my face heated up at the reminder of what we had done. He pressed his cool hands to my cheeks and slanted his lips over mine softly.