Chapter 7 - Own Your Truth

Some of the investigators are looking into a broken window, "Looks like a robbery gone bad. Perp entered here, went out the back door. The victim was alone in the house. Husband was out at a business dinner." Their guide explained, "What did they get?" Alec asked, "Gold necklace... that's it. Husband says she was wearing one. There are burn marks on the neck. Killer must've yanked it off. Single gunshot to base of skull. Bullet went through and through. Looks like a .38 . She's got some scraping and bruising on her arms and back." Alec was stunned, "You think this was targeted? She was on 828 Flight, all over the news. Talk about a crazy magnet." Jake added and Alec glared at him. "You see our candle-toting friends outside?" The guided asked. "We saw you got a suspect. Guy in the car, you think he's one of them?" Alec asked. "Our witnesses put him out front on and off all day. We picked him up two blocks over. He had blood on his clothes, we're assuming hers. We got a neighbor who saw him running from the house." Jake asked about the gun, "Must've tossed it, necklace, too. We'll find them."

In that instant everyone was being kicked out, "Robert Vance, NSA. I'm gonna have to take charge of this investigation. Anything Flight 8282 related is a matter of national security. Are you aware you have two acquaintances of the victim on your scene?" Alec scoffed, "I-I wouldn't call us acquaintances." Vance ignored him, "They both were on Flight 828. You can escort these two outside." Alec sighed, "Sorry. I owe you one." he mumbled to their guide. 

Alec and Jake walked out on their own and stood by their car, "The killer one of them? Doesn't make sense," Alec complained. "Why not? If they're fanatics..." Jake started, "These people don't want to harm us." Alec argued. "Maybe this one did. Maybe he thinks we're, I don't know, aliens or demons or something," Jake argued back. "Then why is the NSA here taking charge of a routine homicide investigation?" Alec thn spotted another guy, "That must be the husband." They headed over and Alec introduced himself and Jake. "We were on the flight with Kelly. We're so sorry for your loss." The Husband was bent out of shape, "I told her not to talk. On TV, all those interviews, all that attention. She didn't care. She said she had to do it." Jake was confused, "Had to? Did she talk about someone or something telling her..." The husband interupted, "Calling. She had a calling... her exact words." Jake and Alec were shooed away before they could press any further, "What if that's it ? What if this calling got her killed?" Alec asked Jake.

---

Back at work the next day, Alec is skipping through Kelly's speak out on the news, "Completely ridiculous turbulence. Off the charts. Look, I'm just going to own my truth. If... If I'm going to own my truth, it felt like they thought we were the ones who are responsible for whatever happened to that plane. But none of them seem suspicious. I mean, if I'm supposed to own my truth, don't you think they should, too?" Alec paused it when Craig came over, "So, I just got off the phone with Detective Donovan out in Syosset. He seemed a little steamed." Alec sighed, "Yeah, I know it was out of line." Craig spoke over him, "You took a stranger into a crime scene?" Alec spoke over him next, "Jake is friend, not a stranger. Craig, the victim was from Flight 828. If that's the reason that she was killed, then I need to know because I could be next, or my friends. Now the NSA's taken over the case. I need information." Craig snapped at him, "You need to stop. You're gonna get yourself in trouble, V." Alec didn't mind, "I will, but... maybe you could make some calls?" Craig scoffed at him and then sighed, "I'll see what I can do." 

---

Alec meets Jake outside, "I got it. 'Own your truth'. That's what Kelly was hearing in her head. That was her 'set them free', Her calling." Jake wa stunned, "How do you know?" He asked, "Because it called me, too." Jake wondered how two people would get the same calling, "You heard that?" Alec shrugged, "Yeah, or felt it. It came to me out of the blue. That's why Kelly did all those interviews. Accusing the government of lying... 'own your truth'. Who knows who else she pissed off? She could've made all kinds of enemies. We have to go back to the husband.

---

Jake and Alec returned to the house and managed to get the husband to agree to answer a few more questions. "Do you recall Kelly ever using the phrase 'own your truth'?" Alec asked. "As of two days ago, all the time. She was saying all kinds of crazy stuff after she came back. House is too fancy, we have too much. She wanted a simple life. Bought her this gorgeous necklace. I had to beg her to wear it. And then all of a sudden she's on TV talking about the government? She hated politics." Jake spoke up next, "Did Kelly ever feel like she was in danger?" The husband nodded, "You're talking about the clicking sounds on the phone? Black SUVs on the street? My housekeeper saw them, too. Christine, the black SUVs?" The woman talked to them next while the husband went to his kids, "All day and night. It's been terrible. Reporters at the door, those people outside with their candles. Did you see them? They refuse to leave," Christine complained.

---

"What can you tell us about the last few days? How did Kelly spend her time? W-Was there anything unusual?" Christine nodded, "It's all been unusual. The press appearances, avoiding the followers. Yesterday she got her hair done at the mall. She... When she came back, there were bruises on her arms and she looked upset. She said she'd fallen." Before they could ask any more questions they were asked to leave by the husband.