Chapter 9

It was four am at night, not a person to be seen around town. Except for Minho, who couldn't sleep.

He was walking towards a 24/7 store, located about two kilometers away from his dorm.

It was lonely outside. The only sound loud enough for Minho to hear were the steps his own feet took.

He loved the silence, he loved the dark surrounding him, he loved the soft glow the streetlights gave. He loved it.

His path crossed a bridge, a big one, usually filled with busy cars when he's walking to school. Now, completely empty.

Completely empty.

Aside from a silhouette he saw, sitting legs over the bridge.

Once Minho realised that the silhouette he saw was a person putting themselves in danger, he ran towards them. "Hey, that's dangerous! You might want to get off before you hurt yourself." He startled the person.

It was only when the silhouette turned around, letting their face be filled with the light of a streetlamp, that Minho realised.

"Jisung?"

Jisung.

"Minho." Jisung turned his legs around and dropped himself down, now sitting leaning against the railing of the bridge.

Minho dropped the bag he took with him on the ground and sat next to Jisung, unzipping his own jacket in the process.

"Are you cold?" He saw a shivering going through Jisung's body.

"I'm not."

"Take my jacket anyway." He pulled his arms out of his sleeves and dropped his jacket over Jisung's shoulders. "Better?"

"Much better, thank you." He pulled the sides together, wrapping the jacket around him.

A silence dropped, Minho not really knowing what the situation was or what he could say.

He tried;

"What are you doing here, Jisung?"

The silence continued.

To Minho this silence lasted for five minutes, not a single sound out of Jisung. He didn't wanna ask his question again, because he was sure Jisung heard him.

Nevermind.

"Jis-"

"I don't know, Minho." He shook his head, "I don't know what I'm doing here, and I don't know what my plan was hanging over the bridge like that."

Minho nodded, until his eyes dropped on an empty bottle standing in front of Jisung's feet. The dark made it so he could not read the label, but it looked alcoholic. "Jisung?"

"Yeah?"

"Have you been drinking?"

"Maybe a little bit, but not much. Look at the bottle, it's, like, still filled to the top." Jisung took a closer look at the bottle in front of him, "oh."

"Oh?"

"I didn't realise I had drank that much."

Minho didn't know what to say next, so he spat out the first thing that came into his head; "Are you okay?"

Jisung took a deep breath in and stood up, dropping Minho's jacket in the process.

He looked behind him, at the water running underneath the bridge he was standing on. "Yeah, yeah I'm okay."

Minho looked up at Jisung, shook his head and stood up.

He grabbed his jacket from the ground and gave it to Jisung. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah, of course! This has happened before. You can go home, Minho, go to sleep."

Minho was about to turn around and leave, when his eyes lit up with an idea, "come with me?"

"What?"

"I don't wanna leave you alone right now, there's more than one bridge around town." His voice had an ironic tone, but he meant what he said.

Jisung chuckled, "I'm alright, I swear."

"I don't want to let you go home by yourself."

"Minho, I'm alright. I'm an adult, I can get home by myself."

Minho reached out his hand, "Look, Jisung, we both don't know what your plan was dangling your legs over the railing of that bridge, which means we both don't know what your plan is when you're walking home. Am I making any sense?"

Jisung looked at Minho's hand and dropped his own into it. "I am not admitting defeat, I'm just trying to get you to shut up."

Minho smiled and pulled Jisung with him, in the direction of his dorm, the midnight snack he was supposed to get at the 24/7 store long forgotten.

"It's not that far of a walk, I do it pretty often." Minho took another turn, each step closer to his dorm.

"Why were you out anyway?"

"I couldn't sleep," he laughed, "maybe something telling me to walk towards that bridge."

"You are so stupid."

Both of them fell into a semi-comfortable silence.

Jisung used his hand to repeatedly adjust his hair, or used it to fumble with the buttons on his shirt, "Minho?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you think you could maybe," he paused, "not tell our friends? They don't know much about my personal stuff and I'd like to keep it that way."

"Of course," he smiled. "I wasn't planning on telling them anyway."

"Thank you."

"It's nothing!"

"No really, thank you." Jisung sighed, "I was irresponsibly drinking because I wanted to forget about something and my dangerous self thought it was a good idea to just hang over the railing of a bridge like that. You might've just saved my life, so thank you."

"Jesus, don't get sentimental."

Jisung punched his arm, lightly, "you are an idiot."

"For real though, don't worry about it! I'm really glad I was there to save you today." Minho putting his hand in the air and mimicking the shape of a rainbow at the word 'save', gave the whole sentence an ironic tone.

"We've known each other for two days and this is the way we evolve our friendship."

"It's keeping me interested to be honest."

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean." Jisung laughed, "is just my personality not good enough?"

"You know what I mean." Minho raised the hand he was still holding Jisung's hand with and pointed towards an apartment building across the street. "There it is, the infamous dorm."

"It's not that far from campus, you got a really nice spot."

"Right! I love it there. It's not too far from Chan either."

Once they crossed the street, Minho pushed open the door with his hand, the other still holding Jisung's.