Solving the Mystery of the Missing Prince

We both shuffled awkwardly out of the cafe, apologising over and over at the amount of change we'd stolen from them. "Now then!" I announced, twisting to face Elias "You got any plans for the rest of the week?"

"Not particularly" He replied, smiling "I am an outlaw, so I don't have anything to do but wait for my capture".

"We're going to change that!" I gave his arm a friendly punch. "Do you know where any nearby libraries are?"

"Yes... The city library is near here. why?"

"We're going to do some research" I grasped his hand and led him forward, whilst he quickly shouted directions at me. Soon, we arrived outside a grand building. It was similar to the castle, with a white exterior, and marble pillars surrounding it. However, the roof and sides were turning a tar-black from the smoke and steam constantly pumping past it. Wondering inside, I gazed in awe at this high ceiling masterpiece. Dark oak wood panelled every wall, and the floor was made up of a single deep red carpet. Rows and rows of books lined the walls and created new rows that extended into the room. A robot with a single wheel for legs whirring behind a counter, watching us with a matching single eye. Her eye flared brightly as we approached her desk.

"Hi!" I announced, leaning on the counter "Do you know where 'History of the Royal Family' would be?"

"Second floor, third shelf to the right." She bleeped, pointing to the circular balcony that ensnared the room. We both trundled toward a spiral staircase, and arrived beside the bookcase. Each book had a pure white spine, and deep sapphires encrusted in the titles. There were at least thirty... and I couldn't read. "What are we looking for?" Elias asked. 

"information on all royal family members from the Queen's reign" I answered, grabbing a book. "What's the current Queen's name?"

"Euridisy " He answered quickly. 

"Um... sorry to ask this, but I can't read... so can you find some books with her name on them?" I looked away in embarrassment. Elias nodded and began to withdraw books. I gazed at his quick movements, until he had a stack of nearly thirty books. I grabbed half and followed him down the stairs to a large table. We splayed out the books, and Elias arranged them chronologically. "Her reign began in 23990. But it's now 25600... So It's not too much to cover"

"NOT TOO MUCH?!" I squealed, before sealing my lips. 

"Library..." Elias hissed.

"I know!" I hissed back "But that would mean the Queen's been ruling for over...1,000 years?!"

"Yes?" Elias looked more confused than anything. "But the real issue is..." He looked over at me and flicked my forehead.

"OI!" I squeaked.

"You can't read... so this entire process would be incredibly slow" He sighed. 

"I'm so sorry..." I sniffed. I genuinely felt useless... what was wrong with me...

"Oh No!" Elias stuttered "I didn't mean to make to feel bad!" He suddenly grabbed a book, and set it down in front of me.

"Elias... I can't-"

"I'll teach you," He said, nodding. 

"What?! That's... You realise I don't even know the alphabet right?"

"That's okay! I'll start with the basics!" Elias suddenly ran away and came back with a piece of paper and a pen. He drew a shape, that looked like a circle with a single line running through it.

"This is pronounced 'L'" He said, pointing. "Can you try?"

"L..." I said, memorising it in my mind. I looked back at the book to see the letter on much of the page. Elias continued to draw out the entire alphabet on a piece of paper, telling me how to pronounce each one, and where it was used in everyday life. He was very patient, and a good teacher too. But his kindness only solidified my belief. He didn't kill the Prince. His kind words and patient smile didn't belong to a killer. But then again, I'd seen the same traits in another... and he was most definitely a killer. I soon began looking through the books and slowly translating each word. This is what my book said:

'In the Year 24500, the Queen gave birth to a son. The son's name was -----'

What? Why couldn't I see the name, let alone read it? The words were blurry, yet the rest of the page was fine. "Hey Elias, can you read this bit for me?"

"Hm?" He leaned over me and followed my finger. Soon, a frown formed on his face. "No..." He muttered. "I wonder why?"

"Is illusion magic a thing?" I asked.

"Yes... but its incredibly rare..." Elias murmured "You don't think-"

"Someone with illusion magic is trying to erase the Prince" I nodded, turning the page. On this page, several sections were just as blurry. We couldn't read the Prince's name. "Can you do illusion magic?"

"No... Only the five elite mages could possibly... But their identity is secret" He answered, looking at the page with me.

"Elias! You know what this means!?" I exclaimed, grasping his cheeks.

"Whab?" He said, his face squidgy. 

"It's strong evidence that it wasn't you who killed the Prince! If you don't know illusion magic, you couldn't erase the Prince's name!"

"Yes... but that's not enough to convince the people" Elias grumbled.

"Let's keep looking!" I grinned, flipping through the pages. Minutes turned to hours, and soon we had to be violently kicked from the premises. I glared at the automated librarian before she slammed the door shut. "Now what? I hadn't even thought of where to sleep..."

"I usually sleep behind one of the oil warehouses. It's warm, but the smell it exudes..." Elias shivered slightly. 

"Hotels?" I asked.

"They're really expensive..." He muttered "At least five gold a night"

"That'll have to do for tonight, come on! Show me the way my esteemed guide."

The hotel in question was full of stuck up snobs, who all turned up their noses as soon as we walked in. However, when I produced fifteen gold coins for a three-night stay, disgust turned into violent ass-kissing. They feverishly led us into a small room with two beds, and told us the room service button was right next to our bed. The button in question was large and red, with a large pipe leading away from it and up into the wall. Elias looked so exhausted, he instantly collapsed onto one of the bed, sniffing the cotton sheets. I, however, opened up the window and leaned out. The dark sky let pinprick lights glow below me as they cascaded down the cliff. "What are you?" Elias sighed, joining me at the window.

"What do you mean?"

"Do you often run around helping fugitives? It sounds crazy..."

"This is actually my first time" I patted his head "You've taken my fugitive saving virginity"

"One, that's the worst way you could've possibly said that" He lowered his own hand onto my head and ruffled my hair "And two, I'm not saved yet"

"But you will be!" I exclaimed, grasping his hand "Have faith Elias". I looked out at the sky again, and watched the steam outside occasionally glow deep orange and yellow when passing street lights. "I hope the Prince is alright..." I muttered "If you didn't kill him, he's probably locked away somewhere, waiting to be saved"

"Maybe its better that way..." Elias grimaced "A royal family? It sounds so uptight and egotistical"

"But its also sounds loyal" I retorted grinning. "Come on, beddie-byes". I tucked myself into bed, slipping off my shoes as I went. Elias did the same, and the two of us drifted to sleep... Afraid of the day ahead.