Chapter Twenty-Five

"That didn't go the way I wanted it to." Tony said wearily, allowing himself to sink into the couch. Pepper just lays her head on his chest. "I didn't want to fight with him. Especially not after he had a...a PTSD flashback."

"My poor baby," Pepper whispered, seemingly to herself. She then looked up at her husband. "What are we going to do, Tony? We need to get her back but we cannot give up Peter. We just can't!"

"And we won't." Tony said firmly. "Peter isn't going to get anywhere close to that base. I promise."

Pepper nodded. Steve stepped forward then, his face grim. "What do you think we should do?" he asked.

"Well if Hydra wasn't an asshole and had used modern technology, I would've just tracked the sender of the video. But since Hydra is an asshole..." Tony shook his head. "I don't know how to track them through that. Maybe search through the tape for a clue?"

Natasha shook her head. "That tape would've been scrubbed clean of anything that could show where he was."

"Curse Hydra and their effective yet asshole-ish ways!" Clint mocked, attempting to lighten the mood in the room. It didn't really work. Tony just sunk further into the couch, his mind drifting back to the terrified expression on Peter's face as he watched the video.

"Wait, they should've left us a clue or something to find them." Steve said suddenly.

"What are you talking about, Capsicle?" Tony asked.

"That man was offering a trade! To do that we'd need to know where he was!" he said. Tony sat up straighter, a new hope blooming in his chest at the thought. He was right of course, they would need to know where to find the man if he was to follow the terms of his trade.

"No," Natasha said suddenly. "He would be expecting Peter to lead us to the base. He'd know where it was. And since he knows Bucky is here too..."

"Another way to ensure that we'd actually go through with the deal," Tony sighed. "Damn!"

"What if we just ask them?" Steve said. "We could just ask Peter."

"You really think Peter would be willing to help us after that shit show?" Tony scoffed.

"He would if he could come with us." Steve said. Tony glared at him.

"No way, Cap. Peter isn't getting anywhere close to this and I am not going to change my mind about that." Tony said firmly. Steve just shook his head.

"You don't have to actually do it," he said. "Just tell him he can come and then don't let him."

Tony let out a low whistle. "Is good 'ol Captain Righteous encouraging me to lie to my kid?" he said, faking a dramatic gasp. "I never thought I'd live to see the day!"

Steve just scowled. "Tony I know you don't want to involve Peter but it might be the only way." he said.

Tony hated that he knew he was right. Tony wanted to kick and scream and rage at the world because what the fuck?!!? Didn't his son deserve to be happy?! "I know." Tony said, dragging his hands through his hair. "I know..."

"So what are we going to do?" Pepper asked. Tony sighed.

"I'm going to go and talk to Peter," Tony said, standing up. "Steve, why don't you talk to Bucky? If we're lucky, he can lead us there instead."

Steve nodded and left the room. Tony walked down the hall to Peter's room, his nerves racking his frame. He didn't want to argue with Peter anymore and he really didn't want to involve him with this at all. But he also knew that the best shot of getting May back was with Peter.