1

Some people - my mom for example - hates jogging

Some people - my mom for example - hates jogging. She says it bores her. For me, it's absolutely exhilarating.

I love the feel of the wind on my face, the sun shining down on my skin, my shoes against the ground.

Another thing I like about jogging is the sights. The beautiful neighborhood, the thick woods and then there's the mysterious rundown house at the corner of our street. Normally, people from the town openly avoid that specific house but I like to gaze at it.

There's something about the intimidating big house that grabs your attention. It's just an added bonus that it's covered in vines and almost hidden by thick trees. Do not get me started on the thick daunting iron gate restricting not just a proper view of the house but any means to get in.

Before, a brave - most probably very drunk - teenager tried but failed to get in. He moved away and never tried again. Nowadays, no one even dares pass by the street where the property is.

If I was smart, I wouldn't as well but there's something... something about it that just demands my attention.

I pause catching my breath from my morning run. I've stopped a few feet from the gate and stare. Nothing has changed. It looks the same from last night when I passed by for my evening run. Old, large and a little intimidating. The vines on the gate have grown a little if that makes any difference. I peer closer and squint. I could see a small part of the window. It's broken and you could hardly see anything inside.

My skin prickles in an odd way and the air thickens which tells me it's time to look away and I do.

I turn away and start to walk back home again.

The house I live in is beautiful. My mom made sure of it. She's the mayor and kind of a control freak. Everything has to be perfect from the freshly cut grass of our front lawn to the potted plants she has at the steps of our door.

Inside of our house is pristine. All white furniture with decorative fruits in nice looking bowls. I stretch my sore arms and yawn.

I woke up extra early for my run today. It's the first day of school and I needed a good start for my morning.

"Addie? Is that you, sweetie?" My mom calls out from the kitchen.

"Yes. I just got back from my run." I say entering our kitchen and spotting her chopping fruits whilst watching a pan that was frying bacon. She's also a big multitasker. I wasn't. If it were me, I'd have already chopped off my fingers.

Mom smiles when she sees me. "Good morning! Getting ready for the season, huh?"

I nod taking a piece of chopped fruit from her and taking a bite. "Got to be in shape. Have to make my mom proud."

"I'm always proud! I just tend to be overly competitive for my girl." And she really is. "And do not mention that one time I complained to the judges when you didn't get first place."