Chapter 2 - Finer Details : Part 1

She watched with narrowed eyes as he unlocked a drawer in his desk and pulled out a copy of what looked like a huge file.

"This is the file with all the details for the wedding", he said pushing a file with a sizable amount of papers towards her, "Let us go through some of the finer details of the important points together."

"If I may interrupt", she said, trying to mock his pompous tone, "Why are we using this primitive method of communication. Can't you send me a word doc via email? That way I can do a 'ctrl + F' to search for things?"

"Ms. Divan, I am not asinine enough to do that. You could easily present that in court and sue me. These papers in no shape or form can be sourced back to me so you can't use them against me. Now if you are done trying to find a way out can we resume?"

It annoyed her a little that he was being so careful.
"I agreed to go through with this. How are we supposed to be married if you trust me so little?"

"Let's just say I trust you enough to get married, but not enough to give you ammunition against me. Which leads me to one of the points we must discuss. There will be a prenup. The details are in the file. It is indexed so it should be easy enough to find. Any thoughts?"

She wouldn't completely put it past herself to try and get out of this crazy situation so she grudgingly saw his point in being extra careful. She sighed and pulled the gigantic file closer to herself. He was asking her thoughts about a prenup. She was so close to rolling her eyes that it was physically painful to not do it. She made a show of pulling up the tab for the prenup.

Weirdly this felt like a usual design meeting in which they went over the client proposals and negotiated the work items.

She simply shrugged, "I don't care. As long as I don't owe you any money, I don't want anything from you post divorce."

"To be clear, there will not be any divorce."

There he went again annoying her even more.
"Mr. Ray, why then are you making so much effort to pen down a detailed prenup?"

There was a beat of silence in which he said nothing.

"Ah. Right. Because in case you are wrong about me and I turn out to be a gold digger?"

"I would appreciate it if you weren't so loose with words?"

She let out an exasperated laugh.
"What language do you speak Mr. Ray? Coz that's not the English we peasants speak"

To her surprise he actually looked a little red as he responded to her jibe at his posh words.
"I was homeschooled for the longest time. I am sorry if my English is too proper for you."

This time she couldn't hold back the eye roll.
"That actually explains a lot."

He looked at her intently before shaking his head.

"Must we always digress Ms. Divan? Can you not keep interrupting me so often, with unrelated banter?"

She sighed and shook her head in response.

He shot her a "can-we-get-serious" look before continuing his "presentation".
"Next, we must not let anyone know that the marriage is in fact arranged. We must go along with the story mentioned in the file and make people believe we have been in love all along and have been dating for the past two months."

"Wait what?!" She exclaimed, shaking her head in disbelief.

This man was all about surprises today.
"So you are basically asking me to pretend I am in love with you? And blatantly lie to people and say that we have been dating for two months?" She asked, shocked for the hundredth time in a span of an hour.