The September Visitor

That same September, one night when he was on business, a lady came to my door.

I was in the business of cleaning the house from top to bottom, to make it truly a home, and my apparel (an old, moth eaten, of -white blouse and torn, brown skirt) clearly seemed to her to be that of a servant. She herself seemed not particularly rich, but neither seemed she poor. She called herself Belle Fezziwig, and asked after Edward. I, suspicious as to how she should know him, invited her in, introducing myself as Francesca Scrooge (which of course was my maiden name).

On settling her down in an armchair, she wept and cried, I comforted her the best I could, however my efforts were tainted by wariness - I was almost afraid to listen to the story that had caused this devastation. Through the sobs, my intelligence was limited. She worked under Edward, I never discovered her official position; yet she had an informal one - his mistress.

"He's a well brought up man, I'm sure you know it, working for 'im. South of the Thames, there are girls who'd die for him. Last year he had Nancy Collins, Ivory Matthews, Philomena Mayhews, Catherine Evans, Freya Lawrence and Emma Duffy- all who worked at ‘is factory. He didn't keep them for more’n a week each y’know.”

“Then he hired me. I'm not complaining, no the opposite - I was awfully lucky - but he left me rather abruptly after four weeks, six days exact. I wouldn't let 'im see how upset it made me, but he parted saying he had an engagement with a more 'suitable' lady. He told me nowt of her, but I knew he never could have made it work with a poor, simple girl like me. I submitted my notice then, I di'n't want... Well... She's darn lucky - his girl - a lot of gals are plenty jealous of her. Me sister passed only last night, and, well, I wanted some comfort. Not 'favours' as such, but his embrace is so warm, I wanted to feel it just once more..."

Her tone fascinated me. It had an elegance that didn't match her apparel, but had an underlying common tone which fascinated me. It was as though she had been educated well, and brought up as if she was a gentlewoman indeed, but the class system was determined to suppress her - to make her poor roots known to all who were graced by her presence.

I told her that he would be back next week, and that she may stay in a guest room until he returned from business in three days. She declined, but said she may be back, if permitted, when
he would be home...