Chapter 1: Says Misaka

Each drop of rain was a kaleidoscope, distorting the world like a malformed mirror should one get close enough to look through such a miniscule drop of liquid. Hundreds had formed on the window, and beyond them was a city laced in gray, with the upper portions of skyscrapers veiled by fog and wandering haze. Car horns beeped at random intervals, raincoats shuffled up and down the streets, hiding the faces of all those walking beneath them, and a light drizzle wafted from the sky, showering Academy City like a sprinkler left on the 'mist' setting. There was something wistful about rainy days, something tranquil, and Touma stared out his apartment window with contented eyes as the clouds drifted overhead.

Index had volunteered to fetch dinner by herself, a task that could quite possibly prove too much for her, but he had faith she'd make it back safely-and without spending all his money. Meanwhile, he and his newest roommate, Misaka 10032, were sitting at the table and watching 'Pirates of the Mizushima', a movie which truly left her captivated. He had made popcorn, a snack she had just tasted for the first time, and already she had consumed an entire bag, and was now munching quietly on her second. Like a little kid lost in their favorite videogame, Misaka 10032 couldn't take her eyes off the screen.

The sisters were unique, that was for sure. And though it was ironic to say ten-thousand clones were unique, individual people, Touma already noticed how distinct 10032 was from her identical sisters. For instance, she had taken a liking to t-shirts and pajama pants, which she had worn around his apartment for the last four days, and through her communications with the network, he discovered most other Misakas preferred something a little more childish like their big sister. She enjoyed hot cocoa with mint-flavored marshmallows, while few others shared the same palate when it came to chocolate-flavored beverages. And of course, there was her newest penchant: pirate movies. Just watching her stare at the screen so intently, Touma knew he'd be forced to buy every swashbuckler film he could get his hands on.

"Girls," he sighed, falling backwards to the floor and staring up at the ceiling. "They're so complicated. It's just too much for one guy to handle."

"'What was that?' asks Misaka, hoping you were not speaking about her in a rude and insulting manner."

He sat back up, propping his body up with his arms. "It was nothing. Don't worry about it, okay?"

She didn't hesitate to return her focus to the movie instead of him, nibbling on popcorn one piece at a time.

It was a mystery why he agreed to let her stay there. Maybe it was in the way she had asked. On a rainy afternoon four days ago, Misaka 10032 came to Touma's apartment door soaking wet and filthy. She had a cold and was sniffling, staring at the ground. All she did next was pop the question, and of course, Touma stepped aside and allowed her into the apartment, at which point Index screeched at him for allowing a mysterious girl into their abode. Even after four cloudy days had gone by, he didn't know what happened to her that day or why she was out in the rain, but even so, he didn't have the courage to ask. She was safe and that's all that mattered.

Out of the blue, the doorbell rang, startling Touma and breaking him away from his daze. Maybe it was Index. If he had to guess, she had bought too much food and was unable to open the door herself, thus requiring his help to get back inside.

"Geez," he said, rising to his feet as Misaka 10032 paused the movie. "What a hassle."

But upon opening the door, Touma was greeted with an unexpected surprise: another of Bug Zapper's sisters-two of them, actually.

"Oh. I wasn't expecting this," he began, stunned by their presence.

Immediately, one of the Misakas stepped forward, inserting herself into Touma's personal space, though she remained utterly emotionless in both expression and tone of voice. "'Misaka does not approve of what is going on here,' informs Misaka, drawing near to the boy for extra effect."