1

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Zane's eyes flutter open to the familiar sound he hears every morning at exactly 6:30.

Another day had begun for the grumpy dark man. He got up to turn off his alarm. After he did, he went on to his daily routine.

He went to the bathroom, changed, combed his hair, and quietly went downstairs to fetch his house keys.

Ever since he tried the coffee at the Cafe 10 minutes away from his house, he had become a daily customer.

It had become part of his daily routine. What was his daily routine, you might ask?

Nothing special. He'd wake up, get ready for the day, get his morning coffee, jog, and then work and do adult stuff. Like I said, nothing out of the ordinary.

Today, was no exception.

He finally got to the cafe and ordered his usual.

Coffee. No sweeteners. No milk. Just black coffee. And he liked it.

He sat down to enjoy it and looked out the cafe window.

It was still pretty early, so everything inside and outside of the cafe seemed calm. He loved it. It was nothing like the rowdiness back home at the street.

Here, he could just drink coffee, breathe, and think.

He saw other people, all daily customers like him, come inside the store and order. Yup, best part of the day.

He finally finished his coffee and went out, ready for a morning jog. Zane, wasn't one for much physical activity. He would much rather be home, watching TV, curled up in a blanket with some cookies. But he did know that he still needed to be active.

He didn't care much for this until his older brother, Garroth, had made him realise that maybe he had one too many pastries. After jogging for a while, he noticed he had started getting in better shape. So it had become part of his daily routine.

Besides, the morning jogs were also nice. He felt the morning breeze and heard the early morning sounds. It was perfect.

After the jog, he'd be back home ready to start work. It wasn't that long ago that he'd started working with his dad. Ever since Garroth told him he didn't want to inherit the family business, Zane was in training to be the next Ro'meave in business. He didn't mind. Besides, he got payed well, like really well. So he couldn't complain.

So like any other day, he headed to work.

And like any other day, he'd come home from work, ready to unwind, eat dinner, watch TV, take a shower, and sleep.

His life was a normal one. Sure occasionally, something exciting in the street would happen and new episodes full of events would spur! But, he was happy. He didn't want any sort or change happening sooner or later.

He went to sleep that night, satisfied and content.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Zane had woken up. At 6:30. Just like any day. Everything was the same.

Except for Zane's feeling of uneasiness.

Nothing was different that morning. Everything had been the same. So why couldn't he shake off that strange feeling?

Deciding to ignore it, he went on with his usual routine.

Nothing different. Everything the same.

It was then time for him to go to the cafe. He walked those 10 minutes and ordered.

His coffee was the same, yet he for some reason, didn't enjoy it as much. The strange feeling seemed to be something he couldn't simply ignore. All of the usual customers arrived. What was different?