twenty six

You gently opened your eyes as you felt the bed dip next to you.
"Morning" Chris was sat there holding a tray of breakfast and coffee. You lazily smiled at him.

"Morning" you slowly pushed yourself up so you were sat leaning against the headboard. "What brought this on?"

"I love you. I don't need any other reason than that." You blushed at his words and leant forward to kiss him. As you leant back your eyes scanned the tray. They fell on a book tied in a bow. Your fingers reached out to it.

"What's this?" You asked inquisitively.

"Open it and see."

You looked at Chris for a few moments before untying the ribbon and running your hand over the book. It was old. You held it gently and tipped it to the side so you could see the spine.
Oh my god.
"Oh my god." You said in a breath.
You head jutted up to Chris' face. He had a teasing look on his face.
You opened the cover and read the first page of the book.
You read the words over carefully in your head.
Little Women. First edition.

One hand came up to cover your mouth.
"Chris" you sighed. "This is....this is too much."

You flipped through the pages until you got about half way through the book and a small sparkly object fell out the middle.
"What the..." you closed the book and looked around for the object. Your movements stopped when your eyes landed on..a ring.

You couldn't move. You couldn't breathe. You grabbed it with thumb and index. You held it gently, confused and scared.
You slowly lifted your head up to see Chris on one knee in front of you.

Tears were silently rolling from your eyes as you stared at the man in front of you. He looked nervous and unsure.

"You will never know how much I love you. I could spend every second, every minute and hour telling you, but it wouldn't be enough.
You consume me. Every inch of my mind, my heart, my soul.
I can't even imagine a life where you're not in it. And I don't want to find out what it would be like.
I'm never going to stop loving you. You're everything. I want to make you happy, if I even have the slightest chance at being happy.
So Ellie." He paused.

You're tears were flowing more freely now.

"Will you marry me?" Even after everything Chris had just said to you, you still couldn't quite believe those words had just come out of his mouth.

You just stared at him. In awe. You stepped down from the bed so you were close enough to tough him now. You reached out and stroked your hand through his hair.

"Yes"