SEVEN.

Theron's paws thumped across the undergrowth at the same rhythm as his heart as he flew through the forest. For that, he was thankful; his heart was still beating.

It was still there.

With miles and miles to go, he had plenty of time to reflect on his emotions, though he was still contemplating if that was a good idea. For centuries he had been one thing and one thing only: heartless. He had mourned his new life—his mortality, his ever-transforming body, his unrequited love.

He never forgot the first time he had laid eyes on Cera. Working the marketplace, a plain commoner to most, but to him, she was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen. With hair as black as a moonless night and deep, sapphire eyes, she had his heart as soon as she opened her mouth to speak.

He fell fast.

He fell hard.

Life with Cera was the happiest he had ever been. Weeks of laughing, kissing, and lovemaking had cemented his resolution to marry her. To make her his and only his. The one regret he had was accepting the order to leave for battle before sealing their vows. He hadn't imagined how things between them would change so drastically upon his return.

His memory never erased the feel of what would soon become their last kiss.

However, once that kiss broke, Cera looked at him, confused and befuddled as she knew something about him was different. Something didn't feel the same. How she knew, he never had been able to determine.

He told her about the druids and the goddess and the gift he had been given, even though the expression upon that goddess's face was anything but friendly and inviting. Theron felt powerful and alive and he knew he could use such a gift to protect his loved ones and conquer his enemies in battle.

He was now a god among men.

But Cera had not agreed.

When he shifted to his lycan form, she made it quite obvious that it was not a gift, as he had once thought.

He stared at her, his lycan body hovering over her, his chest rising and falling with his heavy breathing. Her eyes were wide as she scampered back into the corner of the house.

Her face fell, her cheeks pale. Scrunching her nose up in disgust, she squeezed her eyes tightly closed. Her hands grabbed the black hair that hung loosely on her head... and she screamed.

It was loud, it was terrifying and it was painfully agonizing. "No, no, NO!" She shouted, her voice trembling.

Knowing this was going south quickly, Theron shifted again and again, finally back to his human form. "Cera! It's okay! It's still me, my love!" As he reached forward to console her, she batted his hands away, frantically. He couldn't understand her reaction. Yes, his beast was scary, but he would never hurt her. He loved her.

She had to see that.

Hysterically, she sobbed, "Monster."

That one word brought desperation to Theron he never knew existed... and it would haunt his dreams for the rest of his life.

Grabbing onto her forearms, he forced her to look at him. When their eyes did meet, it pained him. She looked at him as if he was exactly what she claimed him to be. Her eyes were cold and empty, "Get away from me." Theron opened his mouth to argue but it did no good as Cera started to scream again, "DON'T TOUCH ME! DON'T TOUCH ME! DON'T TOUCH ME!"

Theron fell on his ass, knocked back by her vehement demand. How could she say that?

Her eyes held an accusation that Theron couldn't understand but he soon would. "You're a monster!"