Chapter 2

Next Day...

Throne Room

"We have gathered brave warriors who will fight the Waves with you legendary heroes." The King announced.

These people will join our parties, huh? Naofumi thought his eyes widened when he saw a redhead girl amongst the group. Wow, there's a real looker here, too.

Jin-Woo frowned as he saw who Naofumi was looking and narrowed his eyes. He was all too familiar with those sorts of people.

"Now, our future champions! Time to begin your journey!" The King said.

Everyone stood behind the sword, spear, and bow heroes. The only ones left out were Naofumi and Jin-woo.

They don't accept us for some reason. Jin-Woo frowned. Not that it makes a difference for me, but...Jin-woo looked at Naofumi. He, on the other hand ...

"What? They're the ones choosing?! Three... four ...five...Yo, King!"

"I have to admit; I wasn't expecting this." The King said.

"No volunteers? Those two must have no charisma." The prime minister said.

A man whispered something in the King's ear. "So, there have been rumors."

"Did something happen?"

"Well, rumors that the Shield and Mage Heroes are ignorant of this world have spread around town." The King said.

"What?" Naofumi exclaimed.

So there was someone spying on us last night. Jin-woo smirked slightly.

"Legend says the heroes come with a firm understanding of our lands. And they seem to think they don't meet that criteria."

"Maybe someone was eavesdropping on our chat last night." Motoyasu whispered to Naofumi.

Seriously? Naofumi thought. Just for that? Sure, I may not know much, but...

"That aside, Ren, you don't need five!" Naofumi said. "Gimme some of them!"

"I'm actually more of a loner." Ren said. "If any of you can't cut it, I'll leave you behind."

"What do you make of this, Motoyasu? Don't you think it's unfair?"

"I'm actually surprised that my party is all girls, too." Motoyasu said while scratching his head nervously.

It pisses me off that he doesn't seem all that broken up about it. Naofumi thought.

"It would be best to split them three each, but if we force it, it could destroy morale." Itsuki said.

So, what, you're telling me to go it alone?! I'm a Shielder, you know! The class, you guys, said was for losers! How am I supposed to grow stronger without a party? Naofumi thought.

"Sir Hero!" a feminine voice said.

It's that girl. Naofumi thought as he looked at the redhead.

"Would you allow me to join the Shield Hero?"

"Are you sure?" Motoyasu asked.

"Yes!" The redhead said.

F-For real? She'll join my party? Naofumi thought.

Jin-woo grabbed Naofumi's shoulder. "Naofumi." 

"Eh, yes?" Naofumi said as he looked at Jin-woo.

"It is in your best interest to not interact with her." Jin-woo said.