Chapter 2

The next morning, I woke up before everyone else and hopped in the shower. After going through my morning routine, I threw on a pair of shorts and a tank top and went downstairs to start breakfast. Heading for the coffee machine first, I made myself a cup before turning my attention towards breakfast, coffee mug cradled in my hand. Looking through the refrigerator, I found some eggs and bacon and decided to cook them, grabbing some bread from the pantry for toast. I had just finished cooking the bacon and eggs and was starting on the toast when Austin came down the stairs.

"Good morning," I greeted, handing him the cup of coffee I had made a few moments before knowing he'd be arriving in the kitchen.

"Thanks. Morning," he responded, taking the mug and taking a sip.

Turning back to the food, I piled the bacon and toast on plates before scooping the eggs onto another plate.

"So, we're telling them today right? The owners said we could start moving some stuff in, so I called the furniture store and they're delivering the living room furniture today. One of us should probably be there though," Austin asked as he swiped a piece of bacon off the plate.

"That's great! I'm so excited about this," I exclaimed, walking around the island to give him a hug.

"I am too, to be honest," he admitted, returning the hug.

"I'll go to the house. I know you have work today," I said.

"That'd be great. Maybe you can take Aubree with you. I bet she'd like to see the place."

"Yeah, I'll-" I started to say, but cut off when I heard footsteps coming down the stairs.

A few seconds later, Asher and Aubree walked into the kitchen. Austin's eyes were barely opened as yawned loudly, heading straight to the coffee pot. Aubree was a little more awake, rubbing the sleep from her eyes as she too headed to the coffee.

"I smell bacon," Asher stated as he poured coffee into his mug.

"That's because there's breakfast on the table." I retorted, taking a seat and making myself a plate of food.

The next few minutes were spent piling food on plates and settling around the table. I kept sneaking glances at Austin, knowing we had to share our news but slightly terrified to do so. My stomach started cramping and I mindlessly pushed my food around my plate as I tried to find a way to start the conversation.

"What's going on with you two?" Aubree asked after a few moments, studying my movements.

"Yeah, you're both acting weird," Asher added, putting his fork down on his plate and turning his attention to me and Austin.

I glanced at Austin before taking a deep breath and focusing on my older brother.

"Austin and I are moving out. With you and Aubree engaged now, we decided it was time to give you your space. We found a house not far from here for rent so we're starting there," I stated, not taking my eyes off my brother.

"The hell you are!" Asher exclaimed, his fists hitting the table as he rose to his feet.

Aubree reached out and yanked him back down to his seat.

"Kaysie, you know you don't have to do this. Us being engaged doesn't mean you have to leave your home," she said quietly, looking guilty.

"We know that Bree. Honestly, we do, but you two getting engaged means you're starting your life together. Soon, you'll be married and have babies and you need your own space. I know you would never kick us out. This is a decision we made. Like I said, we're not going far. The house is only about five minutes from here," I answered, reaching across the table to grab her hand.