Chapter 10- Let's Find the Loo

Let me tell you, whatever street James had plopped us down in stunk. Literally. It smelled like cat pee and mold, but even I had to admit it had a certain charm to it. Once you got past the fact that you could probably contract some sort of infectious disease by just standing too close to a bench... it was almost, dare I say it, exciting.

We approached the long line (or queue, as James called it) of fan boys and girls, and approached a rather tall boy who reminded me of Matty.

He didn't actually look like Matty apart from being tall and having the same messy, floppy hair situation that had become Matty's signature look. For one, he looked highly uncomfortable in the crowd. If left alone, Matty would have started a conversation with some random stranger by this point, chatting about fuzzy Scottish cows or something. This fellow looked like he would have rather been devoured by sewer rats.

"Remus!" James called, waving down the almost-Matty.

Remus... why was that name familiar?

Remus turned on his heel so quick he looked like he made himself motion-sick. Like he was going to throw up all over the girl in the leopard print jumpsuit standing directly in front of him. The girl, thankfully, was oblivious to this. The poor guy looked like he'd had a tousle with a few angry animals in his life time, judging by the jagged and faded scars on his face. No need to involve Ms leopard and her blood red talons in the equation.

We strolled into the line where Remus was standing. The people behind us looked a little peeved but I don't think James even noticed.

"He's late," Remus said to James, acting as if I wasn't there.

James rolled his eyes and dug through his jacket. "He's always late, Rem. Relax."

Remus didn't look 'Relaxed'. Quite the opposite, really.

James frowned as he dug through his pockets, then patted his breast pocket and began digging through them as well. "You've met Higgs, right?"

"Erm... actually, I don't believe we've been introduced," almost-Matty said, assuming the handshake position. "Remus Lupin."

That's when it clicked. Remus! The planner!

Remus was still holding out his hand for a handshake—and this time I aced the social interaction with a text book perfect handshake. Dad would have been so proud. "Paisley," I said.

His eyes lit up flashing down past my face then back up to my eyes. The corner of his mouth pulled up into a sort of half-smile. "Paisley? Like your dress?"

"Uh..." My face flushed and he let go of my hand.

I'd worn a paisley print dress... of course. After all, nothing says 'concert' like a bunch of amoeba-like patterns. I somehow forgot that it was actually my name.

I ran my hand through my hair then fiddled with the ends—it would probably ruin the look Mom gave me, but I was practically buzzing with anxious energy and needed to funnel it into movement somehow.

Beside me, James let out a loud sigh, muttering 'Thank Merlin' under his breath whilst tucking a few slips of paper back into his pocket.

"Are the girls here?" James asked Remus. "I need to give them their tickets."

Remus nodded his head, indicating behind them. "They're round the corner—Alice didn't want to skip the queue."

"Course she didn't..." James rolled his eyes, smiling as he ruffled the back of his hair. "Well come on, Higgs—you've got to meet them at some point."