Black Since the Beginning

Recommended song for Prologue: Centuries, By: Fallout Boy.

(Chaos' POV) U.S.A. June 5, 2*48. Daytime.

*

White, nothing but blinding bright white surrounds me. No blues, reds or yellows or even greens, almost every minute of my life is surrounded by blinding white. It's been madness to see nothing but this pristine whiteness everyday for the last ten years, although it's not just the whiteness of the cage i'm in that has driven me this close to the brink of insanity.

No, it is the combination of the whiteness, screams and madness I experience all throughout the day that has driven me this far.

Though, there is one thing that has kept me from falling off the edge; Damon. Damon is the only thing that has kept me sane throughout every second in this white hell, he's probably the only thing keeping me going at this point. I've known Damon since I could ever remember, always there and never moving.

He is the one sure thing in my life, the one rock that is keeping me from floating into oblivion and insanity. Damon is five years older than me, and he has a surprisingly gentle outlook of our lives. Never accusing, never hating or blaming the devils in white coats that made us into what we are, and killing us once we are deemed 'unsuccessful' or 'no longer of any use' to them.

I have learned things during my life in here; This place is called The Compound, and it is a place where experiments are done on humans, just because they can and want to. Their are five levels in this place; Level One: Flying Creatures, Level Two: Land Creatures, Level Three: Ocean Creatures, Level Four: Human Based Creatures and then there's Level Five: Mixed Hybrids.

As you go down the levels it gets more twisted and disgusting to see what these 'human' trash have done to our bodies, minds and souls. I have also found out that The Compound is an underground building somewhere in the US, where we are exactly is something I don't know.

It's the same routine everyday; Wake up, get injected with who knows what, taken out of my cage, eat, run through their daily tests, learn the basics like math, science and other stuff, more tests, more injections, eat, put back into cage, lights out, sleep. Everyday we do this, and everyday I wish that it'd end. Although after we get put back into our cages, and before they turn the lights off, I get to talk to Damon for a little while.

Our conversations are short, but Damon always make sure that I learn something new everyday. Whether it's who has 'outlived' their purpose, or how the guards rounds have shortened by a .5 seconds. We did this just about everyday, except the days when the moans of pain were too loud; those days we just tried to sleep through it. Then one day we didn't. That was the day that Damon outlived his purpose, and the day I finally snapped.

I didn't cry, how could I when showing weakness in any form would get you killed. It seemed to others that I was unaffected in any way shape or form to the untrained eye, but there were hints to my immense grief and anger. I couldn't take it anymore, and the hate I felt just grew and grew every second. Not a month later I had already planned my escape from The Compound, and I planned to make my leaving something that they wouldn't likely forget.

It was simple really, I just had to bribe a few of the guards to 'accidentally' leave my cage door unlocked so I could go to the bathroom for a few minutes. How could they of known that they handed me the key to my escape, and delivered deaths' scythe to their disgusting, pudgy necks.

The plan was simple; get to The Compound's main system control room and unlock the bolts on Level One through Five, and wait till they start to riot and destroy all they see. When enough mayhem was caused I hacked into the single elevators pad system to change it into a code only I knew, and from there it would be very easy to escape from this place.

Though I quickly found out that it was pointless, since the elevator doors had been ripped off during the riot. If you looked up and down the inside of the elevator you'd see hundreds of creatures scaling the shafts to get towards the light of day, and away from the sting of whiteness they'd know for all of their lives.

I was about to jump into the mass of bodies when shrieking sirens and red lights went off. The doors were closing, and the panic of being trapped inside this white coffin started to set in. As I prepared myself once again to jump into the bodies of frantic people, I heard a very quiet whimper with my genetically enhanced hearing.

I stopped, and looked around for the owner of that noise, and that's when I spotted it. A girl, much younger than me, was curled up in a corner trying to keep quiet as she sobbed with her hands over her mouth, so that she didn't alert anyone else of her existence...

I remember thinking 'Dam* it! I can't just leave her now that I've seen her....sh*t!' while I made my way to her through the pushing people and jumping over the corpses of guards that littered the pristine white floor. I remember grabbing her small, warm hand when I finally made it to her and pulling her towards the gaping hole in the elevator that would grant us our freedom.

I remember her screaming because she was so scared and afraid of what was happening as I pulled her with me to the edge of the opening, and it only grew in volume and terror when I pulled her in tight against me as I jumped off the edge and into the darkness of climbing bodies below.

The mix of wind whipping through my hair and the loud scream of a young terrified girl was enough to raise my adrenaline to a frightening level. Thus it was easy to unfurl my small black wings from their closed position on my back just as we were starting to near the bottom of the elevator, from there it was just a long upward ascend to the top of the elevator.

Lucky for us, someone had also ripped off the top of the elevator to show natural colors I had so yearned for all my life. I didn't stop the rhythmic beat of my wings till we were high above The Compound, and I bathed in the beauty and comfort of this new warm and colorful world.

I only thought of one thing in this moment; 'I am finally free......right?'

*

*

Hey, Tomohamaru here. How was it for the prologue? Bad or good, I'd love to know what you thought about it! Hope this isn't too much alike to the Maximum Ride series...

© Tomohamaru, 2015

TOMO. OUT!~!