the new london | curtney

• Dedicated to Kimberly Jaz

“It’s peaceful but dark, it’s silent but creepy”

After the deep sleep, I woke up in a silent plane with Cynthnie beside me.
      Let me introduce to you, Cynthnie Clarke. She’s the youngest yet the cleverest, first impression from strangers: mean—first impression last, Dude, she’s absolutely mean—she’s weird because she can drive you crazy and lastly, she’s a great spy.
      Cynthnie is really wild but not all the time, she became quite everytime she reads a book. This time it's Twilight written by Stephenie Meyer. You can’t easily steal her attention most especially when her concentration is in the highest level, except if you’re me. Want to know my secret? I’m her twin. Not literally, but we call each other twin since we have similarities and massive differences. 
     “Hey, Jiglly,” I said, asking for her attention.
      “Hey, Juff,” she answered, her concentration still on the book.
      “Aren’t you excited to see Jaz and have some adventure in London?” I asked, imagining the scenes that will happen soon.
      “Of course I am, Juff. Who wouldn’t be?” she looked at me, grinning before she continued reading the book.
      “I know this will be the best birthday ever, thanks to you, Juff,” I whispered.
      “I’m so excited to see Harry!” yelled Kim, behind me.
      “Oh, shut up, Kim! Cher is way better than your pig!” Elaiza added.
      “He’s not a pig, Elaiza!” and they started arguing.
      “Greyson Chance is still the best out of them,” Merill spoke beside me.
      “Seriously, Mims?” Elaiza and Kim both said in unison.
      “I rather go with Harry, I don’t care if he had four nipples,” Kim said, daydreaming.
      “Stop arguing, girls, we’re inside a plane,” I tried to stopped them, but I think one voice was not equivalent to three.
      Not until Cynthnie did the honor.
      “Please, stop defending your freak idols. There’s no sense if you kept on blabbering about them, they don’t care!” she said. “You know, girls, if you’ll watch Percy Jackson, Perks of Being a Wallflower and Three Musketeers, you’ll meet my future husband, Logan Handsome Lerman.”
      Cynthnie smiled and the girls shut their mouth when a lightning suddenly striked.
      “See, Zeus agreed,” Cynthnie laughed and went back to her business, reading her book.
      “A sign to stop,” Kimberly whispered.
      “I agree, Kim, the lightning might hit the plane and—boom,” Elaiza added.
      “Cynthnie has black magic,” Merill teased, naively.

      After the long flight, we’re finally landing. We got off the plane with our sunglasses on when we stopped.
      We're in London, but I doubt if this is really London.
      “Are we in London, United Kingdom?” Kimberly asked, looking surprised and awestrucked.
      “No, Kim, we’re in a departure area for airplanes,” Merill answered for us.
      “We should go now,” Elaiza said, making the first move.
      We waited for our luggage and made our way outside the airport, waiting for a taxi cab to pass by while eating some curls that I bought.
      “I can’t see any cab coming,” I said.
      “We’ve been waiting for an hour still no sign for an up coming taxi?” Elaiza complained.
      “Exactly, do you have any idea or suggestions how to contact Jaz?” I asked.
      “We’ve lost contact from Jaz for months and I can’t see any payphone,” Kimberly said.
     “We can’t contact 911, our parents might know that we escaped and go after us here, terrible,” Cynthnie added.
      “We’ve got only one choice,” Merill spoke.
      “What?” we all said in unison.
      "We fly,” Merill answered. If she’s not my friend, I’ll kick her butt right away.
      “Look! I can see a bus coming!” Elaiza squealed, pointing her index finger to a double floor red bus.
      “Big red bus!” Kimberly freaked out.
      “Stop!” we all yelled, randomly before it stopped.
      A man in a black formal suit immediately went out with worried expression all over his face.
       “Girls,” he looked at us one by one, “why are you here?”
      “For you information, we went here to have some vacation,” Kimberly answered, unpleasantly.
      “You’ve chosen a wrong place, girls,” he sighed, “and it’s not a good idea to spend your time for vacation—
      “This is our favorite place, sire. London, United Kingdom!” Merill said.
      “You’ve got no idea? Do you understand what’s happening in this town?” he asked in a minimal tone.
      “How can we understand an unexplained situation?” said Elaiza, confusedly.
      “Wait, what? I can understand British even though I’m an Asian,” Kimberly added, making the whole conversation confusing.
      “We understand it,” I lied. “Now, can you, please, take us to a place where we can stay?”
      “Get inside,” he ushered us to the bus’ door. “Leave your suitcases, I’ll bring them up.”
      We obeyed him and one by one went inside the bus.
       “Cynthnie,” Elaiza yelled, catching Cynthnie’s attention. I didn’t realize she was so quite since we arrived here.
      “C’mon, Cynths, before we leave you behind,” Merill said, and Cynthnie followed.
      We all settled inside the bus. Merill, Elaiza and Kim sitting at the back side of the bus while Cynthnie in the very front row looking at the window. I decided to come over her and ask why she was so quite.
      "Something’s wrong, Jiglly?” I asked as I sat beside her.
      She shook her head and placed her hand on her lap. “Don't you think this place is a little weird? It’s peaceful yet dark, it’s silent yet creepy and it’s not the London that I see in Google.”
      “I don’t understand you, what do you mean?”
      “This place is terrifying,” the words came from her mouth echoed in my mind.
      She had a point, this place looked terrifying but I removed the thought about it. Maybe it was just because we were not used to be in a peaceful place, unlike New York that is too crowded and loud.
      “That’s the result of reading too many horror, vampires and wolves stories, it doesn’t makes sense, Jiglly,” I smiled.
       “Listen, Juff, the London that Jaz was describing from her call or her messages are, you know, alive,” she sighed.
      “It’s time to stop thinking about crazy stuffs. We just came here. I promise, the rest will be great and we’ll have fun!” I stated.
      “I hope so,” she said in her low voice, she was almost whispering.
      I gave her a comforting hug. We came here to see Jaz and enjoy, there’s no point in stopping our dreams. We’re friends and we will always be friends, thoughts are just temptations and temptations cannot stop us from dreaming and accomplishing an oath.
      “Girls, we’re here, ready yourselves,” the guy said.
      The guy led us in a two storey building and showed us our room. There were five beds that were meant for us and a terrace built in the corner where we can have some fresh air. It was lovely and cool.
      “Is this free?” Merill asked, excitedly.
      “This is my apartment, so, I guess it’s free,” he smiled, “I’m Paul Higgins, by the way, here’s a phone”—he gave us a phone—“call me every five hours. If you wouldn’t call, I’ll call you and if it’s the third time and you're still not answerinf, I’ll go here and check if you’re okay.”
      "What if we’re asleep?” Merill asked again, with interest.
      Paul didn’t mind her. “You’re not allowed to leave this apartment without my permission. These are your payments, following my rules and demands,” he explained. “This is not the City of London you dreamt before.”
      “Are you a bad guy?” again, Merill asked.
      “If you’re hungry, the fifth bed have a mini cabinet under it, it’s full of foods, beverages and more," curiously, Elaiza checked the fifth bed. "I’ll leave now, girls. Stay here! And don’t you ever leave this place! Keep safe, kids," he said before leaving.
      Can’t believe he called us kids!
       “This is so wrong, girls!” said Cynthnie in a jittery tone.
      “This is actually fun! What’s wrong?” Elaiza asked.
      “We shouldn’t have come here!” Cynthnie said, nervously.
      “What? Wait! This was your plan, you settled everything and now you’re back out-ing?” Kimberly replied.
      “Shut up, Kim!” Cynthnie burst.
      “You’re the one who should shut up!” they started arguing.
      “Stop, girls,” I interrupted. “Don’t fight, we should have fun! We should enjoy! So please, stop thinking negative things, alright?”
      “I’m sorry, I just feel something bad is happening,” Cynthnie sobbed.
      After that short fight, I straightly went in to the comfort room and took a bath before I went to sleep.

...

Chapter written by: @LadyPhilosopher