Chapter Twenty Six - Part Two

Maxwell

Sadly, Thursday evening was uneventful. Friday wasn't much better as I sat and thought about what Charlie said yesterday about Morgan meeting the green-eyed stranger and how James could possibly know who he is. I recall the conversation he had with me the night Charlie was attacked. He claimed to not know his name, so why would he invite him along with a snack to Charlie's workplace? Things just don't add up, and with James as well as Morgan in Austria, I won't be able to find anything out for a while.

Today seems like it's headed down the same path.

"Well...are you going to say something instead of just staring at me like that?" Charlie demands.

I could say a lot of things, but I'm having trouble being able to formulate words. I can't help but to gawk at her barely clothed body. She poses in front of me in a black bikini. I know she's still angry at me, but causing me distress makes her a bit chipper.

I've never seen anything quite like it before. Four gold eyelets run along her bust and hips, with chain connecting the actual swimsuit to a waistband and choker. Being more modest than her attire, she wears a sheer wrap dress on top.

"What is this for again?"

"The event I have scheduled for this afternoon. A beach themed event. Swimsuit." Her voice alerts me of her annoyance.

"And you're going to be there on your own?" I know I said I thought it might be best of Dave were called in to assist with the situation, but now I'm glad I didn't push.

"No. I do have venders who need to come and set up. If you're worried, you should be, but I have work to do. So be brave for just one day."

Before she leaves me behind, her highly glossed lips press into a small smile making her confidence seem more fake. She wants me to be worried, but she's worried too. All I can do is watch her walk away. Boredom immediately takes over my day within seconds after she leaves. I debate whether to watch pointless TV or go and lie down to stare at the ceiling. Since I've never been one for television, I go for option number two.

I place my stiff body in the middle of the bed. No matter how much I want to dismiss the truth or ignore the signs, my tired body begs to be heard. It's been years since I felt like this. It's been years since I even had the option to feel like this again. Closing my eyes, I force breaths to come slow yet steady to release some of the tension that's bound to overwhelm me sooner or later.

The sound of my phone ringing jolts me awake. I didn't even realize I fell asleep, but a quick glance at the clock tells me it wasn't that long. Rushing to pick the phone up, I answer it without looking at the number displayed across the screen. "Hello."

"Maxwell."

"Grace, what a pleasant surprise."

"I have been doing some research and I just wanted to tell you I haven't found anything. No one is aware of a vampire out to get Charlie or yourself."

"Looks like your visit is paying off," I say, annoyed. "Are you ready to tell me what you're doing up there yet?" My curiosity getting the best of me.

"That's a long story," she hesitantly says.

"I have all day. Charlie's conducting business at the moment." I want to add in a bikini, but I refrain from releasing that information, because I know Grace, she'll tauntingly laugh at me.

The sound of her huffing on the other end causes me to smile. I know from past experiences that this is going to be good. "I was actually looking forward to talking to her. How is she?"