Chapter One

Kagome Higurashi was a seventh year, once more...and why was that? Because she, like the majority of the Seventh Years at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, had to retake the year after not finishing it due to the war last term. Who do we thank for that? Well, why most would say Voldemort, she personally blamed Harry for the annoyance that had interrupted her seventh year as a Gryffindor. Why? Simple really, had he finished off Voldemort the first time, instead of waiting seventeen years to finish him off, they wouldn't have had to deal with it and many people would be alive that weren't. On that note, obviously she couldn't blame him, he was only one when he'd defeated Voldemort the first time, he couldn't be held responsible for the happenings that had taken place once he started at Hogwarts.

Standing with the rest of the Hogwarts students in the great hall, she sighed at the way things were proceeding now that the war was over and Voldemort was finally dead, and not capable of returning to the living either. With her hands in her cloak pockets, she clutched a letter tightly as she waited for McGonagall to make her speech, whatever it was she had to add to her already unsettling letter, that is.

Her letter, the letter that was sent out to all students that had attended last year, first years all the way up to the seventh years. The letter read as such:

Miss. Higurashi, Kagome

Due to recent events, you and your classmates will undergo the 'sorting' as is expected of first year students. I understand that many students have undergone changes mentally that have also affected their personality and their ideals and views. This may be an inconvenience to most, but I hope for your patience, just as I do your classmates.

I don't believe everyone will change from their original house, but I feel that this is the appropriate course of action after such difficult times.

Due to the abundance in students to be sorted this coming term, the Hogwarts Express will be departing the station three hours earlier, so we ask that you join your fellow students at the station by no less than three and a half hours earlier, so that none are left behind.

I await your owl by no later than Aug, 31.

Headmistress McGonagall~

Needless to say, no one was really happy to be resorted. Most didn't think they would change houses, many others were fearful of what might happen if they did, the rest didn't care, period. Kagome was one who didn't really think that her house would change, but if it did, she didn't really think she'd care as much as some of the others might.

Looking around, she could only see one of the Golden Trio. Hermione Granger, who stood up towards the front, waiting excitedly for McGonagall to come out. Kagome smiled, she personally thought it would be hilarious if Hermione was resorted into something like Slytherin, being that Hermione hated the snake pit. But she doubted the girl would change from being a Gryffindor, she had brave written all over her.

Though, she personally didn't care what house she was in, she was somewhat hoping for change. She looked up at the head table. Her eyes met grayish-black ones, and she was drawn back into a memory not that long ago.

~Flashback~

Fire burned at the castle walls, ruble here and there as footsteps padded towards her from the stairs above. Kagome looked curiously in time to see Ron, Harry, and a crying Hermione rush past her. Hermione yelling back at her to run and find the other seventh years, but her curiosity was far too strong to just brush off.

She ran up the spiraling staircase to see what had caused the golden brunette to cry in the midst of this war. Her heart had stopped as she walked past the doorway, finding her Potions Professor lying against the wall of the tower she stood in. His breathing was shallow, and she momentarily wondered how the Golden Trio could leave him in such an obvious state of agony.