Mira's Last Song (DC interactive fanfiction #3)

It was a frigid day at the Castle of the Crystal. Today, the snow flakes and freezing rain were carried on the gray clouds all the way from Ha'rar, drifting silently into the dark lands. Ice froze between the joints of the castle, and icicles began to drip and freeze in place, clinging to the clawed fingers of the giant black structure.

Inside the chambers, a large fire roared next to Emperor skekSo's throne. The hearth was bright and loud, crackling with curiosity and casting orange reflections against the normally dusky stone walls. But another sound overlapped the flames of the fire; Podling singing voices.

Although Podlings were best known for, well, absolutely nothing, today the voices of the official Podling choir lifted the shadowy air. They may have sprouted from the ground, but a select few had simply stunning singing voices, and played a very important role of easing whatever suffering the Emperor may have been experiencing that day. As they sang, skekSo sat quietly with is beak raised to the air, studying the changing melody, tapping lightly on his knee with one claw. Beside him, skekEkt the Ornamentalist stood with her arms crossed, her sparkling pink gloves and thin fingers rapidly fidgeting with annoyance.

"Louder!" skekSo proclaimed. skekEkt stepped forward once pace and raised her hand to the air. The Podling choir elevated their voices all at once, shifting to a more pronounced and aggressive pattern. skekSo shook his head. "Too loud! Too loud!" He shouted.

"Softer, soft!" skekEkt cackled as she waved both her hands around in circles. The choir members looked at each other anxiously, trying to adjust themselves to the right pitch. Some of their voices trailed, whiles others stayed just as loud.

"No, no, no!" skekSo shouted again, slapping his hands down onto his lap. "It's all wrong!"

"What?! What is it, Emperor?" skekEkt growled, her tongue flapping faster than her beak. The choir, without any further direction, continued to sing in the background.

"This!" He motioned to the Podlings. "This...mindless harmony is what you call music?"

"We have worked so long on this! I have worked!" Her voice was desperate. skekSo shook his head dismissively and waved a claw at her.

"Silence them."

skekEkt turned to the choir and thrust both her arms out to her sides. "Quiet! Hush it down!"

The Podlings suddenly froze in place, catching notes in their throat.

"There," skekSo said, "even the winds blowing in the castle are more soothing than...whatever you call that."

"I call it 'Spring Time Birds,' my Emperor." She gave a quick bow, searching for appreciation.

"Well I call it rubbish!" He cracked his scepter into the ground.

"Ahhh...forgive me!" skekEkt pleaded as she backed away from his rage.

Just then, another all too familiar sound wafted over the throne.

"...Mmmmm?" A shrill wine seemed to come from nowhere, but everywhere at once. Then a figure appeared at one of the entrances. skekSil the Chamberlain. "Mmmm! Emperor!" skekSil waddled through the triangular frame and made his way toward the throne. "I have sensed a great displeasure in your voice, yes? Please, allow me to assist you!"

skekSo glared at him, keeping a stone cold stare locked onto his whimpering face. "I have a far better idea Chamberlain: Leave this room. Walk away and do not return."

skekSil was about to say more, but decided to use his intelligence to stop himself from an unwelcome conversation. He bowed once, then quickly shuffled away with a worried expression.