Chapter One

"Ryan," Renee laughed and rolled her eyes, twirling her red-brown hair around her finger with a smile that reached her dark eyes, "You need to grow up."

Ryan kept kissing up and down her arm, feigning worship of her person. A smile graced his lips as well, his own blue eyes sparking in amusement as he straightened his posture. Standing at a height of 6'1, the young man was a head taller than his significant other.

The twenty-six year old woman smiled happily up at him, raising onto her tip toes and placing a chaste kiss against his lips. She licked her lips, taking a step back and grabbing his hand, "Do you think he'll like me?"

Ryan hesitated for a moment before realizing who she was inquiring about. He nodded, giving her hand a gentle squeeze, "Oh yeah, he'll like you for sure. Just warning you though..." He trailed off, his brows raised in warning.

"What?"

"Dad..." he took a deep breath, "My dad really isn't in a good place right now... mom passed away a while ago from cancer- I told you that..."

"Yeah," Renee walked away from the car slowly with her boyfriend in tow, "You did. It's been what now?"

"About a year," Ryan took a deep breath and ran his free hand through his short hair, "He just hasn't really been the same since. I mean... he-" he sighed, "He could have been a better husband to my mother, he thinks we don't know about the stuff he did... but." He drew in yet another deep breath, the conversation proving difficult for him to continue, "I do and mom did. I think that's why he's so hard on himself now- guilt."

Renee nodded. Ryan had told her about his father and his... habits. Truth be told, he didn't make his old man out to look like too great of a guy. Still, she had to accept that he was his father and of course she wanted him to like him. The woman licked her lips, "He just needs time to forgive himself. It's terrible what he did, but it seems he knows that based on what you're saying. He just... be probably needs you to be there for him."

"Yeah," Ryan scratched the back of his neck, "I know he does. He's just such an asshole sometimes. It really makes me want to knock him the fuck out."

Renee laughed, "I think we've all had to deal with people like that."

"My father is... different. I suppose you'll see. Let's just hope he's in a good mood."

That said, the two of them continued the walk to the front door of the two story house in which Ryan's loved yet hated father resided in alone. Ryan opened the door for his female counterpart, letting go of her hand and patting her on the back as she entered the house, the door shutting behind the two of them.

Ryan looked around the front room, kicking his shoes off as Renee did the same. He could smell his father's cooking coming from the kitchen, the smell of his spaghetti making his stomach growl. The young man spoke, "Dad? We're here."

Renee was surprised when she heard a hearty chuckle coming from what she assumed would be the direction of the kitchen. A confident, booming voice followed, "You sure as fuck are."

Renee glanced over her shoulder at Ryan, biting her lip nervously as he gestured for her to follow him. The sight that was before her upon entering the kitchen took her aback. Sure, Ryan was a good looking- a very good looking young man but she couldn't say that he looked like his father. Nothing about Ryan prepared her mind nor her eyes for the incredibly attractive although older man standing before them.

Ryan's father stood there in jeans and a white shirt, a black apron over his clothes and tied snugly around his back. Renee licked her lips subconsciously, not meaning to and truly hoping neither son nor father noticed the gesture. She gave it her all to meet the man's stunning hazel eyes and keep her attention there rather than allow herself to fully appreciate his body. Renee smiled at him, and held out her hand when he stepped forward, "I'm Renee, Ryan's girlfriend."