Chapter 3: Picnic Gone Wrong

The following day you wake up around 11 o'clock. The last two days have been rough, almost unrealistic but yet it still happened and you can't change the fact that Ricky is still dead. You feel the need to talk to someone who will understand how you're feeling and think of Hannibal Lect- Hector Lane... You still believe that the name is fake but of everything you have been through so far, that man is the least dangerous right now. You leave the couch to get yourself some decent clothes, eat some breakfast and dial the given number.

"Hector Lane speaking, what is your concern?" the voice says and you forgot that his voice is making you feel weird like you are walking on clouds.

"H-Hello... It's me, (Y/N) if you still remember..." you answer and you can hear him chuckle.

"Of course, I remember you (Y/N) ... Do you want to share your thoughts with me?" he says and you nod but remembers that he can't see you and answer yes.

"Great, I don't have any plans for today and it's perfect weather to be outside. Tell me, would you like to go on a picnic? To make it... less formal." He says and you blush slightly when he mentions the word picnic. Did he just ask you for a date?

"Y-Yes, I would love to! I mean, it's a very nice idea..." you say and scratch your head. You aren't used to having a picnic with someone you just met, on top of what with the event that has occurred.

"I'm happy to hear that! How about I come over to you and we can walk together to find a nice spot? I can bring the lunch if you bring something to drink." he says enthusiastically. You know that trusting him to cook food for you is a bad idea and decide to turn it around.

"Um... I have a great idea for lunch, mind if we swap?" you say and try to sound as nice as possible. It is silent for a moment when you hear him chuckle again.

"Okay, I'm good with that. The picnic is for you after all. I can bring a blanket for us to sit on." He says and tells you he will come by in an hour before hanging up.

"Shit! I don't know what to cook! Fuck, fuck fuck, why did I drag myself into this? I already have enough trouble..." you slap yourself before trying to make the best out of the situation. You decide to make some fancy sandwiches with your favorite toppings and some more common ingredients in case Hector doesn't eat what you eat. You also do a chocolate dessert and assemble everything in a stylish way. It's making you hungry by looking at it but remind yourself it's for the picnic. In the last 15 minutes, you dress into something fitting. A white t-shirt, blue jeans, and black sneakers are the only outfit you think is fitting for the moment. You also have a thin black jacket on top of the shirt. It is perfect weather as he said, not too hot or cold. You put the lunchboxes in a bag along with some cutlery. You walk out of your apartment and wait outside. After a minute you see Hector walking towards you. He is dressed in a white shirt with rolled-up sleeves, black pants, and leather shoes. You feel amazed by how handsome he is. He smiles widely when he gets closer and you look into each other's eyes for a second before you look away.

"Shall we go then?" he says and you nod. You are happy it is Saturday and that you will spend the time with someone who knows what you have been through. There is no way anyone in school would believe you if you told them on Monday. You walk closer to the scene the night before and you get flashbacks. Although you see no visible evidence of Ricky's mashed body you still remember the awful smell and horrible sight and you freeze on the spot. You almost drop the bag when Hector grabs it. He puts the things down before trying to break your trauma.

"(Y/N), listen to me. It has already happened and nothing can hurt you right now. Can you hear me?" he says and shakes your shoulder. You snap out of it and feel a bit upset and ashamed.