ii. when they arrived

three hours earlier

The Alaskan wilderness was a stark contrast to the barren desert she was accustomed to. Compared to the relative coolness of the Alaskan spring, Taylor didn't know how she'd survived years of digging in the dry heat of the Middle East. The crisp air of the Last Frontier was invigorating.

She stepped over the edge of the skiff and onto the rocky shore, relief sweeping through her at the security of land beneath her feet. The pebbled beach led into a patch of tall, prickly-looking, yellowing grass, and then eventually into thick woods. Taylor tilted her head back and admired the mountain rising up over spindly spruce trees.

"Hey, Taylor! Taylor!"

She looked for the source of the noise, a smile breaking out on her face at the sight of her thirty-something-year-old cousin. She could see Sierra's copper red hair even from a distance. Sierra drew nearer, and Taylor hurried to meet the woman, trying to find her footing on the slippery rocks.

"Sierra!" She collided with her cousin, both of them laughing.

"Oh, it's good to see you!" Sierra embraced her tightly, then pulled back, taking Taylor in with a critical eye.

"Acceptable?" Taylor asked, raising her eyebrows. "I came prepared. Even brought 'bug dope,' or whatever you call it." She'd also brought a sturdy jacket and hiking boots to go with her usual long-sleeved t-shirt and jeans. Sierra had warned her the weather would be very different than what she was used to. "No shorts," she'd said, "or the mosquitos will eat you alive."

"Looks good," Sierra said, nodding in approval. "You look good, girl! It's been—what—two years? I haven't seen you in forever."

"I know. I've been too busy discovering Atlantis."

"Ha-ha." Sierra looped her arms in Taylor's, and they began walking toward the boat so they could grab the rest of the gear. "I'm thrilled you came."

"Well, I couldn't pass up the chance to see my favorite cousin, now, could I? Even if I had to travel halfway around the world to do so."

"Honestly, I'm surprised you came at all." Sierra sobered, her smile fading. "Considering what happened with Riyad."

Taylor's mood dampened a bit. "It's been two years, Sierra," she said softly. "I have to move on."

Sierra rubbed Taylor's arm comfortingly, then peered over her shoulder. "Did you bring Elias with you?"

"I did." She could see Elias's lanky frame in the distance. He'd been reluctant to come; Sierra and a group of her college students were studying an archeological site on the island and had invited Taylor to join them. Being under Taylor's guardianship, Elias was extended the invitation as well.

Elias approached, a backpack slung over each shoulder and sleeping bags and other gear in his hands. He accepted a hug and a kiss on the cheek from Sierra, enduring her fussing and comments on how he was all grown up now. He caught Taylor's eye over Sierra's shoulder and made a face; Taylor held back a smile.

Finally Sierra released him and took some of the gear from him, then turned to Taylor. "Let's get you guys set up at camp, and then I can show you what we're working on."

"Sounds good," Taylor said, and Elias nodded.

"You're going to love it here, Elias," Sierra promised. "It's beautiful, and there's lots of places to explore."

Taylor studied the boy and could tell he wasn't convinced. Alaska... Well, Alaska—specifically the remote islands of Alaska—held memories and emotions both of them didn't care to experience again. It was a wonder they'd actually agreed to come. Taylor wasn't quite sure why she'd said yes to Sierra's invitation. Perhaps it was the need for closure, or a way to feel closer to Riyad.