Chapter 1: Home, bitter home - Part 1

When Edward reached the port, he could see Abel focused on the ship being packed and prepared for their departure. He could see his shape draped in a deep blue tunic, so much more discreet than some of Abel's most common outfits, yet still decorated with golden thread. The fabric looked rich, and gave him a noble touch. His hood was over Abel's head, and his gaze was probably fixated on the waves swirling in the gulf. Edward went to stand at his side. When he looked at the other man's face, it was neutral, yet his lips were thinned out in a way that implied Abel was biting his lower lip. His arms were crossed, but Edward could make out the shape of the old used gloves Abel never wanted to repair or throw away. Suddenly, the man raised his hands to cross them under his hood behind his neck, and breathe out.

"What's on your mind?" Edward called out.

"Oh you know," said Abel "the constant worry of my friend's wellbeing. As always."

Abel would keep his eyes on the water, and Edward tried to gently prolongate the conversation.

"How long has it been since you have left Nahamira?"

Abel did not respond right away. Rather, he eluded the question to answer directly the one Edward was trying to ask gently.

"If this is what youre asking, well, I do not fear repercussions." murmured Abel. "I don't think I am at risk of being excecuted. Al'Bendal Qawin will have to much on his hands to avenge his son's honor.

"Are you really this confident?" pressed Edward "Isn't the prince himself well able to command your arrest and excecute you?"

"I have allies. I know,"  he said louder "That I'm gambling here, and that yes, I'm getting involved with the governement. But I know it, I'm familliar with it. It is rotten and all, and it's posing danger to people close to me, so I believe it could use a bit of ... Mayhem."

"I know but," Edward winced "It's still getting me on the edge."

"There is no need. I've done this before." He smiled.

Edward only hummed in response. He only wished this story would end rather soon as both of them had been close since meeting, and he selfishly did not want Abel far away from him. He was also very aware of the danger that presented itself to the smaller man. He knew he could fight more than well for his life, yet still, how could you not fear for the life of the people you value the most. Edward looped an arm around Abel's back and pulled him close against his side.

"I know, Abe, I know," he whispered "I also know you will make it back to the Blue Fort."

"You can trust me on that"

In a single step Abel turned to face Edward, wrapping his arms around the other man and laying his head to rest on his shoulder. Edward used his free hand to pull back Abel's hood and run his fingers through the thick black hair.

"Should you really hold me like that in plain sight?" Joked Abel.

"Come on now," laughed Edward "You practically threw yourself into my arms. Who exactly are you trying to fool?"

Abel just laughed. He pulled himself from the hold as the horn of the ship called for the travelers to leave the land. Abel reached into his collar to pull the thick blue silk mask over his mouth and nose, and tie it to the back of his head. Edward reached in and lifted the hood back to cover Abel's hairs. Abel then looked up to Edward and suddenly, he was not the worried man he held a second ago. He was back to being the warrior he has always been. Abel winked at him, as if that was enough of a promise to reassure Edward's worries, and in a way it was. They did not look back on each other as one boarded the ship and the other climbed back up his saddle.