52. grim defeat

     PROFESSOR DUMBLEDORE SENT ALL THE GRYFFINDORS BACK TO THE GREAT HALL, where they were joined ten minutes later by the students from Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin, who all looked extremely confused

"The teachers and I need to conduct a thorough search of the castle," Professor Dumbledore told them as Professors McGonagall and Flitwick closed all doors into the Hall. "I'm afraid that, for your own safety, you will have to spend the night here. I want the Prefects to stand guard over the entrances to the Hall and I am leaving the Head Boy and Girl in charge. Any disturbance should be reported to me immediately," he added to Percy, who was looking immensely proud and important. "Send word with one of the ghosts." Professor Dumbledore paused, about to leave the Hall, and said, "Oh, yes, you'll be needing . . ."

One casual wave of his wand and the long tables flew to the edges of the Hall and stood themselves against the walls; another wave, and the floor was covered with hundreds of squashy purple sleeping bags.

"Sleep well," Professor Dumbledore said, closing the door behind him.

"Harper!" a voice whispered and she looked up to see Cedric looking at her in worry. "I heard that Sirius Black is in the castle. Are you alright?"

"You know he would never harm me," Harper quietly told him, pulling him away from the crowd.

"If I'm being honest, I'm beginning to doubt that," Cedric whispered back. "Why would he be in the castle otherwise? And in Gryffindor Tower nonetheless."

"I don't know," she replied, staring in the distance, trying to get a her head wrapped around all of this.

"Everyone in their sleeping bags!" Percy shouted, making an end to their conversation. "Come on now, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!"

"Look," Harper said, leaning in, "I'll see you later, okay? Try to sleep, Ced, it would make me happy."

Cedric looked grim. "I'm a Prefect so I need to stand guard, but you try to sleep, okay?"

"I will," Harper replied, smiling back before taking a sleeping back and dragging it towards Harry, Ron and Hermione.

"Do you think Black's still in the castle?" Hermione whispered anxiously, once Harper put the bag next to hers.