Trust

"In the mirror my reflection lies to me

That is not the man I want to see

But every harvest takes me closer to my aim

I will be there as soon as darkness falls

My life is but a heartbeat away

And all you've ever had will soon belong to me

You will kneel before me

And you will confess that I'm god

Save me your prayers

For death is the answer to life

Brother this is my last goodbye

I'm begging you"

—Veritas, Kamelot

"No."

Natasha knew it was coming, but it still punched her in the gut nonetheless. Loki hadn't even turned around to look at them. Hadn't even let Thor finish his sentence. His face remained a carved blank stone, impassive, immovable. She should have expected this, but the crushed look in Thor's eyes tugs at something deep inside her.

"She's dying, brother," he said in a rough voice. "Please, you must…"

"'I must' what, brother?" Loki slowly turned. His blue eyes were ice cold. "Mortals live, mortals die. Thus is the way of your precious Midgard. You should take these last few moments to say goodbye."

Thor drew in a sharp breath. "No. Jane will not die. You will help."

"Do you threaten me, brother?"

Thor looked caught, but he steeled his expression. "If I have to."

"You should have learned by now, I cannot be forced into anything I do not desire. If you attempt to harm me, Jane will not have any chance at all."

"Then you admit she has a chance now!"

Loki glared at his brother. Natasha stepped forward, crossing her arms.

"You said so yourself, Loki," she cut in. "We have to go to Asgard. We're bound, you and me, by some sort of unbreakable magic. Do you want to be stuck with me forever?"

He cast her a withering glance. "I would rather braid Thor's hair."

"Though I cannot imagine why you would desire this, I will gladly allow you anything if you help my lady."

Sarcasm seemed completely lost on Thor. Loki's eyes found the ceiling with a sigh of exasperation. Natasha pressed her case.

"Then you see what needs to be done. You and I can't stay here; you said so yourself. Your magic is tied up to this pendant, which is stuck around my neck. Unless you want to follow me around everywhere for the rest of my extended lifespan…"

Loki shook his head swiftly, dark hair skiffing along his shoulders.

"I've already told you. We do not have the supplies we need for the spell. Even if I conceded to help you—"

"I will get you anything you need!" Thor bellowed. "Nothing in this mortal world will evade my reach; I will hunt the most elusive beast if you so name it—"