A Startling Surprise

I sit in my room. There's nothing for me to do.

No money. No phone.

No anything.

I need another job. I need to go looking for one now if I want my phone. I sigh and take a few deep breaths. Might as well take a walk into town and see if people are hiring.

I quickly find my sweater and a scarf. It's getting cold out. Halloween is just around the corner.

I run downstairs and I only find one of my legal guardians. "Mrs. Grenn?"

"What is it?" She spits. She has to pause the TV when I talk.

"Oh, uh, I-I'm going to get a job."

"Another one?"

I explain how I "loss" my wallet to her. She only nods her head and I run to the door.

I open it and I feel a slight breeze.

XXX

I've been walking for what seems like forever. I just want to sit down!

I'm coming up to the last building that I might try. There is a picture of a bear, chicken, fox, and rabbit on the front. In big shining red letters it says,

FREDDY FAZBEAR'S PIZZA

The first thing I notice is a sign on the front door.

"Help Wanted.

•Waiter/Waitress

•Janitor

•Repairman

Thank you!"

I smile and rip the paper off the front door and I charge inside. I hear music come to a rest. Adults talk, children scream, arcade games beep.

"Th-thank you all fo-for l-l-listen-ening, kids!" A giant, brown bear on a stage says through a microphone. On his right, there is a duck-chicken with a bib. There's a purple bunny on his left. "We're go-gonna take a b-b-break so all of you can -die- eat!"

Did he just say "die"?

No. Probably just my twisted imagination.

The animatronics look pretty creepy. The chicken-duck looks like it has two sets of teeth. The purple bunny's eyes seem bigger and blacker than the others. The bear has smudges all over his face. His mouth is huge. There is brown smears and crust on the very edges and corners of the robots. What is that? I think.

Little kids are crowding the stage, cheering. They all moan "Aww!" when the curtains start to close.

I jump when I see a purple hand reaches out from behind them and places a sign saying "NEXT SHOW IN 15 MIN" on a unnoticeable hook. I roll my eyes at how stupid I was to be surprised.

I notice the grip I have on my paper. My fingernails dig into my palm through the sheet.

I look around and I see another room, almost completely empty. Curious, I walk closer. No kids are here.

The blue painted walls have pirate-themed pictures hanging on the wall. There is a stage with purple star curtains. Before it is an out of order sign.

I jump and shriek when I hear a "Hey" from behind me.

I turn and face where the noise came from. A girl, my age-17-, sits at a table eating dinner. Next to her brown paper bag is a waitress cap. She has a lot of mascara on, her blonde hair is pulled into a ponytail. "God, don't get scared."

I look at her with a questioning face, stunned. She rolls her eyes and smiles, "I'm kidding. Who are you?"

I hesitate, "S...Sarah."

"Cool," she stands. "I'm Paige."