PROLOGUE

The afternoon sun shone brightly amongst the thick, dense trees. Its light reflects on to the stream, emitting a soft glow to the surrounding area. The rays also cut through canopies of the tall trees, emitting cracks of lights through the leaves and branches, like spotlights on a stage. The sounds of birds chirping, while they flew from east to west, tree to tree, and rock to rock.

A small building stood out on the edge of the forest, a building out of wood and bricks, painted to a white-creamy color. With semi-tall windows, aligned along the side of the building, facing the forest and the stream. The windows allowed the sunlight to illuminate the two classrooms of the school building.

"All right children, that concludes our lesson for today." Said Ms. Kanata, "Please close your readers and may you all have a great weekend."

All the students closed their readers and started to tidy their belongings. They placed their slates and book into their bags. They shuffled from their desks and walked down to the coatroom to get their coats and lunch baskets.

"Rey," Ms. Kanata started, "May I speak with you for a moment?"

A girl with long dark brown hair, tied to a half ponytail, with her baby hairs sticking out, wearing a long-sleeved Prussian-blue colored dress, with a crème colored pinafore to match with it turned her head around, facing Ms. Kanata.

"Of course, Ms. Kanata." Rey replied to her. She turned back to her friends, Rose, Finn, Poe, and Jessika, "You can all go ahead first if you'd like. But if you're willing to wait for me, I'm sure it wouldn't take that long."

"No worries Rey, we all will wait for you outside." Rose assured Rey, "Besides, I think Poe has something to say to Jessika, so we can wait."

"You do?" Jessika asked curiously to Poe, her eyes slightly gleamed in hope.

"What?!" Poe shot a dirty look to Rose as his cheeks started to slightly blush, "No, I don't!" he faced Jessika, reassuring her again with mouthing a slightly audible, 'No, I don't.'

They all cracked a laugh to the hilariously embarrassing situation.

"We'll just wait for you outside. Come now." Finn said, dissipating the situation as he starts to lightly push his friends to the coatroom and head outside the school.

As Rey's friends took their leave, she placed her books on the desk and walked over to Ms. Kanata's desk. Ms. Kanata stopped cleaning the board and faced Rey.

"Rey," she started, "I know that you are studying for your D'Qar college entrance exams, but I was just wondering about your stories for the competition and the paper going? I trust all is just well?"

"Oh, it is indeed going well Ms. Kanata." Rey answered, "I'm handling both just fine."

"Well, I hope it does not become a burden for you, I would hate to see you juggling and abandoning your responsibilities." Said Ms. Kanata.

"I can safely assure you that it is not a burden. But do remind me, when is the story for the paper due?" Rey asked.

"In 2 weeks, from now." Ms. Kanata answered.

"I am nearly finished with my story, so I should be able to send it in by next week." Rey exclaimed excitedly.

"I'm glad to hear. Alright, wish you all the best of luck, and have a wonderful weekend. I shall see you next Monday." Ms. Kanata said as she started to tidy her own things. Rey walked back to her desk and gathered all her things, then headed out to the coatroom. She puts on her grey coat and hat, then heads outside to catch up with her friends.

"So," Rey said as she approached her friends, "did I miss anything? What did Poe say to Jessika?"

"I have said nothing, other than to say that she is my friend!" Poe assured them.