At Last I See the Light [Sora]

Sora had counted his blessings when your search for answers about the truth of your powers had lead you to the Kingdom of Corona, and subsequently to him, but this had to be the icing on the cake. 

In the middle of the town square, Rapunzel had drummed up a frenzy in her ecstasy of finally experiencing the outside world. She grabbed men, women and children alike as she coerced them all into a dance. The local violinist beamed with cheer, driven to match the rhythm of the townspeople and soon enough everyone was gliding over cobblestone. 

The bouncing brunette, never one to miss out on a good time or an opportunity, slid his hand into yours, drawing your attention towards him. He grinned, not without a soft flush of pink on his cheeks and asked, 

"May I have this dance?" 

You laughed, a symphonious sound to his ears, and nodded your head. "It would be my pleasure!" 

Your other hand found his shoulder and his came to gently hold your waist. Soon enough the two of you were bouncing around just as joyfully as the rest of the crowd. You were giggling away, seemingly a touch embarrassed, but Sora couldn't help but find it all too adorable. Nothing could wipe the grin from his face as he held you in his arms, enjoying this rare moment of festivity. For once he was holding you up, body pressed against yours in jubilation, rather than panic. There was no blood, no wounds, just smiles and laughter.

Just you and him. 

Or at least, he'd been lost in the idea of just you and him, until the music stopped, and far too early in his opinion. It was a harsh jolt back into reality when he could've danced a waltz without a melody for as long as time would allow, as long as it was with you.  

"Looks like everyone's heading down to the docks" you noted, gently pulling away from him - taking your warmth with you - "We should go see what they're up to" 

The shine in your eyes and in your smile was far too dazzling to refuse. 

"Yeah! C'mon, let's go!" ever the eager one, Sora grasped your hand once again and raced with you down to the docks. 

Upon arriving he noticed a bunch of the townsfolk piling into large ships, each of them holding paper lanterns in their hands. Curious, Sora flagged down a sailor before he climbed into one of the tall sailboats.

"Excuse me!" he called, you in tow. "What's all this for?" 

The man turned to the brunette, at first flabbergasted, then, after regarding the attire of the both of you, did he seem to come to an understanding. "I guess you folk aren't from around here?" 

"Not exactly" you chuckled. "Can you tell?"

"Anyone who's lived in this town knows about the festival" he clarified. "It's hard not to. We hold it every year for the lost princess, who disappeared from the kingdom when she was a baby" the man explained, a somber smile clouding over him as he spoke. 

Sora felt his heart drop into his stomach, ever the empathetic boy. "Oh, that's terrible..." 

He felt you gently squeeze his hand, stepping a bit closer to him. "Are the lanterns to honor her memory?" you asked.

"In a way. It's our hope that one day she'll see the lanterns and come home" the man answered. 

"That's so sweet" your voice was soft, heartfelt. It reminded Sora of a lullaby. 

"I'm sure she'll come home someday. We've certainly seen people find their way back home under even more impossible conditions. Haven't we, Sora?" you turned to him with a knowing shine in your eyes, a gentle smile on your face.