Finding You

Your P.O.V

A few days had passed since the whole "wagon incident" and I still couldn't get myself to realize what had happened. It felt like it was some kind of a silly joke but I knew it wasn't. The place I was in at the moment though, didn't help me believe it.

I was inside a huge room that could fit at least a hundred of people, with a high ceiling holding a gigantic crystal chandelier and tremendous windows that appeared on almost every bordeaux-wallpaper-covered wall. There were portraits of royals and knights' armors were standing tall, as if they were alive. The polished, wooden floor had beautifully painted traditional symbols on its center that almost looked like they had been put there from Mother Nature herself. Everything seemed out of this world.

My eyes roamed over the whole room of the castle I had been so desperate to step into. I had to bite my lip to prevent a smile spread across my face. I had to be dreaming; there was no way I was really there.

I had signed up to become a castle guard and, fortunately, my request had been accepted. I was surprised at first; only a few women were able to become guards and they were all above the average age, which was 21 years old. I was 21 but I guess not being older than that, didn't matter so much.

The main reason, I believe, I managed to get there was because of my father. He was a castle guard himself for a long time and his service and activities as one seemed to have not been forgotten. And at that moment, I couldn't feel prouder to stand in the same room he had been standing years ago, waiting for the Queen's arrival, wearing his own uniform. It was old and a few sizes big, but it was an honor to finally wear it. Besides, it was what had brought me in that room.

Apart from that, luck seemed to be on my side too. The one who had accepted my request was none other than the Queen. I had signed with my name, but she probably didn't know it was me. I didn't want to let her know; I wanted to serve as a guard because I was considered worthy to, not because I saved the Queen's life. Her chief advisor probably didn't know this was my name either, which left the door open for me.

I was lost in my thoughts, when I heard people gasping and whispering while secretly pointing at me.

"Is that (Y/N)??"

"Doesn't the Queen know who she is?"

"Isn't she too young to be here?"

"What is a woman doing here? Especially her", one said like I was the only woman in the room, while there were at least two more in there.

Ugh, men. They're all the same. I'm so glad my ruler is a woman.

I glared at them and hissed. The words falling from their mouths stopped midway and never touched the floor. I smirked, this old trick still worked.

My smirk fell immediately from my lips when I heard footsteps coming from the hallway. I straightened my back and lifted my chin up; this was one of the methods my father had used to make a good first impression. I had decided to follow his example and I did as he had, but when the chubby servant came in, I hung my head trying to hide from him. If he saw me there, I'd have to say 'goodbye' to my chance.

"Gentlemen. And ladies," he said, "due to some changes the Queen wished to be made, I want you all to follow me to the gardens. Her Majesty will meet you there".

We all nodded. When we started walking, some tried to warn the servant about my presence but were quickly stopped by my silent growl and my clenching fists.

As soon as we got to the gardens, my anger vanished almost instantly. It was a breathtaking sight. It felt... magical. But my daydreaming had to stop; I had to stay focused and look serious. This wasn't a walk to the village!