Day One *

The sound of Tom's charming voice floats seamlessly through the crack of the bathroom door. Melodic and pitched, as he hums the chorus of one of the songs featured in the last album you shared with him. It was just last week, which explains why he's still hanging on to it. That's what happens when you share something new with Tom. He listens to it repeatedly for a couple of weeks, then forgets it ever even existed.

You don't blame him, though. There truly aren't many songs that weren't made to be forgotten.

You've been out of the shower for a few minutes and you're currently going through your usual skin care routine. It takes a lot of energy to ignore a disgraceful spot that's about to break out under your nose, but you do it anyway. You could conceal it but decide not to. It doesn't matter when it's Tom waiting for you on the other side of the door.

The fact that you can hear him sing is unsurprising. He does it once in a while, usually when he's up to something, which is intriguing because he seemed tired and completely out of it in the elevator. You figured he would be asleep by now, having thrown himself onto the bed to wait for you and accidentally fallen asleep. With his phone resting on his chest or beside his head, still in his hand. Wouldn't be the first time.

You dive into your carry-on bag and pull out a baggy t-shirt you usually sleep in, thinking there's no way Tom will want to go out today. Putting it on is easy, arms and head slipping through each corresponding hole mindlessly, and the fabric rubs softly against your skin as you organize your skincare products.

The rumbling sounds your stomach makes are loud enough to make you realize that you need food, and immediately you think 'local food'. You have no idea what people eat around here, you didn't do research on that front, but it would be nice to try something.

You have the craziest stories with Tom every time you travel outside of Europe. Like that one time he surprised you with a lovely trip to Sri Lanka where you ended up chewing something that looked like a vegetable but was too crunchy to be so. It was fine in the end, but you're never going to put anything in your mouth again without knowing exactly what it is.

The thought alone brings a sudden bout of nausea to the back of your throat. Maybe local food isn't the way to go for now, but you do need to eat before you move on with the rest of the day.

There's a knock on the door and you wonder if it's Tom so you look up at the mirror. It's been a long time since he started to knock only out of politeness, coming in practically at the same time, which is when you realize that someone's at the suiteʼs door instead. Maybe Tom thought ahead of you and ordered room service. Your stomach agrees that that sounds like a good idea after all.

So sustenance first, then cuddles. Maybe even cuddling while eating even though Tom despises crumbs on the bed or the couch with a passion. To this day, you cannot understand why. It's like him not liking cats. Outrageous. All animals should be loved and all surfaces in the house should be appropriate for meals. He's such a diva sometimes, but you once came to the conclusion that some of those things might be from having grown up in a house of boys. With toys and crumbs everywhere. Dogs, too. Now that must have been interesting.

In any case, you think a nap after brunch would be quite nice. You're not going to suggest sightseeing even though that would be fun, and if he doesn't bring it up, even better. Sleep sounds like a wonderful idea right now. You almost dozed off while you were waiting for Tom in the lobby before anyway.

Tom is a massive cuddler, so he's not going to say no. To be quite honest, you never thought you'd find someone who would be into koala hugs as much as you. The turn off is that he does have a tendency to fall asleep on you, which isn't bad per se, except when he does it mid kiss.