13. KNIVES OUT

"Guys, what in the actual fuck?" Denver said in surprise from behind Luke and I. "That's fucking unnerving." He continues to scan over our sheets from target practice. "What, were you guys in the movie Wanted or something?"

"We haven't even hit the live range yet." I said to him. "And, Luke, when the fuck did you get so good at shooting?"

"Let's just say, after you left me, I had a lot of pent up aggression." He shrugs. "And I own the place."

"You own it?" That's news to me. Luke was never into places like this.

"Needed something to remind me of you."

Denver scoffs, "How thoughtful of you to buy a fucking gun range to remind you of her. What a very romantic and sentimental gesture."

"It's a tactical training center." Luke deadpans. "We also have implemented a program where you can hire an entire security task force privately and discretely."

"Oh, even better." Denver rolls his eyes heartily.

"You know, if you'd like to go punch some people there's a lot of gyms around here. You can go do what you do best and we can do what we do best." The statement makes me look at Luke incredulously.

"Since when are you good at killing people?" The words slip out of my mouth before I even realize what I'd said. Denver's eyes widen at the statement. "I mean, what?"

"Did you just say you've killed people?"

Luke let's out a heavy sigh, "can you please keep your voice down, Denver?"

"Yeah, it's not a big deal." I said it casually even though it really is. It's the whole reason we're in this mess.

"I wouldn't necessarily say that, Mal." I look away from Luke because he doesn't know just how many people I'd been paid to assassinate. "You told me it was only one person." I don't say anything as I begin to fidget with my gun. "Mal, what are we talking here? What were you involved in? You told me they just told you to leave Vegas you didn't tell me you had been working with them still."

"I was working for them, Luke, alright?" And I had been working with them for years, with him. I can't tell Luke that though.

"But you were working for me." I give Luke a sad glance. "Jesus, that's where you went all those nights? When you said you were taking care of your mother... you were, were killing people?"

"What were you like in a gang? Like a mafioso or something?"

"Really, Den?" I snort out a laugh. "No, I worked for a drug and arms dealer. It's fine, guys. Really, it'll all be fine." That last bit was doubtful. It was probably the farthest thing from fine and who knows if I'll be able to make it out alive again.

"You're telling me that for the past few months we've been together you didn't think about telling me any of this?" And I don't want to respond because I don't want to hurt his feelings. "You left entire pieces of your life from me."

"Yes." I answer simply not wanting to perturb him even more.

I didn't think things between us were serious, we were just fucking or so I'd thought. I didn't want to admit anything else to myself. There couldn't be any other reality than that. Because if I admitted that to myself that meant I would've had to leave him too because he meant something. He means something. The thought chokes me because he means a lot, way more than I'd care to admit.

"You know what? Luke's right." Denver shoves his hands in his pocket and shakes his head in irritation. "I'd love to fucking punch something right about now." That raging ball of fire is there in his eyes, right there in front of me and I'm the reason for it.