14. SURPRISE, SURPRISE

I awaken in the middle of the night to a loud bang downstairs. There's a loud crash sound that has me jumping out of the bed I'm sleeping in with Luke. I immediately grab a hair tie from the night stand and make quick work of fastening my long dark locks behind my head.

I grab my knives out of my bag and head out the door slowly. I have my back against the wall as I make my way down the stairs slowly. I hear more loud rustling as I take the last few steps. I make out two figures by the front door. I ready one of the knives, feeling the cool metal against the palm of my right hand.

I let out a small breath before I launch the first blade into the wall right next to the intruder's head. I hear a loud screaming sound but it's surprisingly not what I'd expected. I'd expected a man's voice. I launch another knife near the other intruder.

"Jesus fucking Christ," I hear Denver's loud voice boom, "what in the actual fuck?" I quickly flick on the light to see Denver leaning against a scantily clad woman, his hips flexed into hers. "Mal, what the fuck?"

"What the hell is going on down there?" Luke called from the top of the stairs before padding his way down. I look back to him and he'd, thankfully, put on some gym shorts before coming down. "Oh, uh-" He doesn't know what to say and neither do I.

Denver pulls away from the girl, the one with a knife on either side of her head. Her shirt is up over her breasts, exposing her to all of us. She quickly pulls it down, covering herself in embarrassment. She steps away from the wall and when she looks back she sees the sharp blades, the ones that could've just landed in her skull.

Well, only if I'd wanted them to.

"Oh fuck this!" She grabs her purse and scurries out the door hurriedly. After the door slams the three of us just stare at each other. I feel an anger burn deep inside my chest and I'm not exactly sure what for.

"You brought a random woman here?" Luke said from behind me. "Do you know how dangerous that could've been? Do you know the type of people that are after, Malyssa?"

"No, I actually don't." Denver shot back at Luke. "I don't fucking know anything because the two of you won't tell me anything. You know, because Mal has barely fucking told me shit about her past. I feel like a fucking idiot."

"Because you are an idiot." The words leave my lips angrily making him glare at me. "What, you think you'd just bring some random woman back here to make me jealous?" I laugh sardonically.

"You jealous?" His tone is bitter, "I know a hell of a lot better than that. I mean look at who you're sleeping with." He gestures to Luke. "You're not jealous of shit, you never have been."

"So, what are you trying to catch a fucking STI with a random hooker or potentially get us all killed? I'm curious here, Den."

"Oh, fuck off." He walks away from us and into his room, slamming the door.

"FUCK OFF?!" Luke puts a hand on my shoulder trying to stop me. "Let go of me, Luke." But before he has time to respond I go into Denver's bedroom, slamming the door behind me. "Fuck off? Excuse me? Did I just hear you correctly?"

"Yeah, you heard me correctly." Denver pulls off his shirt, not even looking at me. "You can fuck right off." He starts to go into his bathroom before I get in front of him, giving his chest a shove. "What?"

"What's gotten into you?"

"Probably way too much whiskey and the fact the woman I'm in love with loves another guy. Oh, and he knows everything about her. He knows this entire other person that I don't even know about."

"Denver, my past is dangerous for you to know about." I said the words carefully ignoring the first part of his sentence. He's drunk, we're not talking about love right now.