Introduction

I later invited him to participate in a weekly writing circle I had at my house. His first time there, he immediately took over and decided that we would write about what he wanted, not what I wanted. One of the first poems Tupac wrote with us— "The Rose That Grew from Concrete"—tells you a great deal about him in just a few lines. Tupac was the rose that grew in spite of all obstacles. His life shows that a young man/boy could rise, shine, grow, and bloom beyond overbearing conditions to become one of America's most beloved men. He also had the grace to make it all look easy. Tupac's accomplishments, in twenty-five years, far surpass what most people do in three of his lifetimes. These poetry circles continued for a long time. We were all broke and struggling, but Tupac was the only one who had ever really tasted poverty; only he could take potatoes when there was no meat and make the best tacos you ever tasted; and only he could make a gourmet mean out of Top-Ramen noodles. He was a genius who became the group's greatest inspiration. Within four weeks of our meeting, Tupac appointed me his manager.
        It has been several years since Tupac has passed, and a day does not go by that I do not think of him. I have kept a collection of the many poems that he wrote during the time of our poetry circle. The following poems show a side of Tupac Amaru Shakur that popular culture has yet to realize existed—pensive, introspective, loving, and concerned about world affairs. There is no better way to get inside the mind and heart of an artist that to examine his artistic expressions. I hope these poems allow those who are fascinated by Tupac to see his sensitivity, insight, revolutionary mind, fears, passion, and sense of humor. Tupac's stature and recognition as a rapper is clear and unequivocal. However, his place as a literary artist/poet has yet to be recognized.

                                      xx