15. RESIST(LESS) EXPOSITION

We're all sitting down at the table having breakfast. Denver looks a bit worse for wear as he sits there just staring at a stack of pancakes, orange juice, and a cup of coffee. Luke is having a cup of coffee while reading the paper. He hadn't said a single word to either of us this morning, well, besides when he'd said good morning to me when we'd woken up.

Denver hadn't said anything either. I'd ordered everyone breakfast and even though no one had told me what they wanted to eat explicitly, I knew them well enough to know what they liked for breakfast. Neither of them are touching anything I'd ordered though. Denver was hungover and I'd take a guess their kiss last night left Luke not very hungry.

"Okay, so uh," Denver looks up at the both of us awkwardly but he aims the question at Luke, "can I just ask you a question?" Luke slowly lowers his paper, eyeing Denver like talking to him is the last thing he wants to do. "Did something happen between us last night?" Luke automatically brings the paper up to cover his face. Denver looks at me.

"You brought a girl home but she ended up leaving. Then you, uh, you kissed Luke." He looks over at the paper, completely covering Luke's face now.

"Fuck." He looks back at me looking worried.

"Don't feel bad. He kissed you back." I blurt the words out to appease Denver's guilt but I hear the sound of the paper crunching underneath Luke's hands and immediately feel bad. Luke slams the paper down and immediately gets up without a word, leaving us at the table alone as he goes upstairs.

"I thought I remembered that but I wasn't one-hundred percent sure." Denver had said the words the moment he heard the upstairs door slam. "Why is he so upset about it if he kissed me back? Like it was just a quick kiss, right?"

I sip my coffee and then say, "not really, Den. You kissed him kissed him, full tongue and all. He only pulled away when you started to grope him."

"Well, we were drunk, it's whatever. He doesn't have to be upset over something stupid we did while intoxicated."

"No, Denver, Luke wasn't drunk at all. He was completely sober." His eyes go wide in shock. "Yeah so, needless to say, I think he's feeling a bit confused about that."

"Oh." That's all Denver says as he stares at his food some more. "You weren't kidding when you said he was reserved."

"Not even a little bit. I think he actually really liked it and he's scared to admit that to himself." Denver smirks at me but I give him a careful eye. "Don't say anything and don't push him, Den. I'm fucking serious."

"Fuck," he throws up his hands, "don't look at me like you're going to throw another knife at my head. I'm going to go clean up a bit and then I'm going to go talk to him."

"What? NO!" I stand up automatically when he stands up. "You can't do that, Den. You'll freak him right out. You'll-"

"Mal, I know you think I'm always a blunt dick, well, because most of the time I am. But anyway, I can talk to him and try to make him feel not so bad about it, alright? I just want to help." I give him a hard look because I know Den can actually be really comforting when he wants to be. He's been there for me more times than I can count. "See, you know I can be helpful when I want to be. I'll play it off like it's no big deal."

"Den, I don't know."

"I'm a pretty closeted guy myself, Mal. I don't want people looking at me, judging me for what I like. I know what it's like to feel the way he's feeling right now." I purse my lips. "Just fucking trust me, alright? I couldn't even tell you until I saw that you were into it."

"Fine." I reach up and caress his face. "Gentle with him, okay? He's fragile with that subject matter."

"I promise, I won't be my usual asshole-self." I nod and watch him head towards his room.